The highs and lows of college life inevitably leave you in tears at one point or another. You walk out of class after a bad exam, time to cry. Your long-distance girlfriend broke up with you, time to cry. You realized you are failing organic chemistry, you probably want to cry. Florida State University (FSU) has a beautiful campus that lends itself to the use of distressed college students. As an experienced crier on campus myself, here are my and other FSU student’s top places to let it out.

4. The Benches behind the 1851 dining hall

These are some pretty good benches to cry on: the area doesn’t get a lot of foot traffic and the benches form a small circle outside the path. If anyone tries to bother you, it would be super awkward because they’d have to go out of their way to reach you. It’s not my favorite place to cry at, but I’ve still had some experiences there. Plus, once you’re all good again, you can run into 1851 and grab yourself a treat to make yourself feel better.

3. outside dirac library

In my opinion, Dirac is the superior library on campus– but it’s not inside that makes it a great crying spot (too serious of a place). Outside, I like to sit on the low brick wall that is in front of the building. You might be thinking that being in such a public place would make it a terrible spot to start sobbing, but just remember that Dirac is next to the STEM buildings, so they’re probably also going through it. A bonus to this spot is that the campus cats usually hang around here, so extra points for emotional support kittens!

2. housewright music building practice rooms

Those of you who are a part of the music school at FSU know there’s nothing like a good cry in the practice rooms. It’s secluded and the trumpet in the room next to you will drown out your sobs. The tears you cry on your sheet music are like no other. I’ve had many breakdowns here and it’s a solid spot to cry. No shame in crying through all your scales.

1. powell alumni green

Powell Alumni Green is my favorite place to start crying. It’s a small patch of green that’s right in between the Amphitheater and Wescott. It’s not frequented by many people, but it’s such a nice location. It’s on a little hill and there’s enough combination of shade and sun to make it a nice hangout spot if you don’t need to cry. I like laying in the middle of grass and it doesn’t even look like I’m in distress– it looks like I’m a happy student enjoying nice Florida weather. I would highly recommend this spot to any current or future students. Also, you may get a free concert from music students in the theater. Nothing like some Baroque music to soothe your troubles!

FSU has an extensive campus with many fantastic crying spots. If you find yourself in an emotional place, wander on over to any of the four places mentioned above! Happy crying!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Emily and I'm an Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. When I'm not in class, you can find me at a coffee shop on my 3rd cup of coffee. I also love reading, dancing, and anything related to music!