Going to the gym can be very intimidating and inconvenient at some times, especially as a college student. Motivation to go to the gym can also run out quickly. CHAARG, an on-campus organization, has been able to alleviate these setbacks of going to the gym.

Originally founded at Ohio State in 2021, CHAARG stands for Changing Health, Attitudes, and Actions To Recreate Girls. CHAARG at Florida State University (FSU) creates an empowering environment by encouraging women to try out different weekly fitness classes and to surround themselves with people who support them. Attie Crews, the CHAARG ambassador for FSU, is here to discuss what it is like to lead a strong group of women through CHAARG.

Her Campus (HC): What prompted you to join CHAARG?

Attie Crews (AC): I’ve always grown up playing team sports and I love the groups of girls I’ve met through that so I thought joining CHAARG was the perfect way to continue to meet girls with the same mindset of supporting each other and being active

HC: What inspired you to become the CHAARG ambassador for FSU?

AC: Ever since the first workout class and small group I attended, I knew I was going to love CHAARG. Even though I was only a freshman, I became so passionate about CHAARG and I knew I wanted to get more involved so I decided to try my best and apply for a few positions!

HC: What has CHAARG provided for you and what values has it taught you?

AC: CHAARG has provided me with so many amazing friends and allowed me to experience a variety of workouts. CHAARG has taught me a lot about leadership and also about being open and getting to know all of the new members to make sure everyone feels really welcome and loves CHAARG as much as I do.

HC: How do you plan on applying those values in the future?

AC: I hope to continue having roles of leadership throughout my life whether it’s in other clubs or jobs in my future life. The openness and ability to work with and get to know new people will always be helpful so I will use that in anything I do in my future.

HC: What is your “why”?

AC: I have always loved staying active and healthy and trying new things, so I quickly realized that CHAARG was the right club for me to join. I am a total people person and I love meeting new people so after meeting so many amazing girls during my first semester of CHAARG, I realized I had found my place. I knew I wanted to get more involved and help other girls have a similar experience to me.

HC: What are your goals for CHAARG?

AC: My goals for CHAARG are that it continues to grow at FSU and other colleges to allow girls to have amazing experiences while also meeting lifelong friends.

HC: Favorite memory?

AC: I have so many favorite memories from CHAARG but I would have to say all of my small groups this year and last year, as well as the whole big little process, stands out to me the most!

HC: What is your biggest takeaway from leading a large organization and what legacy do you want to leave?

AC: My biggest takeaway is that although it can be hard being on an exec team and leading a large organization, you can always count on your friends around you because I would not be able to lead this if it wasn’t for the amazing group of girls on my team this year. I hope to leave CHAARG in the hands of girls who love CHAARG and are as passionate about health and meeting new people as the exec team and I are.

From friendship to fitness, Crews is leading CHAARG to new heights, and her passion will carry on to the next women that fill her shoes.  Follow along with FSU CHAARG’s journey on their Instagram.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore at Florida State University majoring in psychology. I enjoy listening to music, going to concerts, and learning about new things!