“New year, new you” can easily describe the mantra of most college students entering the spring semester. You may have seen this phrase worked into captions on Instagram over these past few weeks. It is one thing to say you’ll keep up with a resolution, but why not easily pencil it into your school schedule? Eating healthier, spending less time online watching Netflix, and going to the gym are some hobbies that most twentysomethings include on their New Year’s resolution list. At Florida State, there are some amazing exercise classes to sign up for at the Leach Center that are included with your tuition, so why not take advantage? Whether you want to become more active to benefit your body in the long run (or just in time for Spring Break), consider these fun ways to stay active during the 2015 New Year.

Taking a fitness class at the Leach Center is one way to pump up your body after the end of hibernation that we call winter break. Starting January 20th, the regular spring class schedule begins! Finding a fitness group to fit in-between class is a breeze when you simply log online the FSU campusrec.fsu.edu website for a detailed table with all the possible classes.  Most classes you can drop in and check out whenever you have some extra time. The Leach Center offers nearly 100 sessions each week-during the week and even on the weekends.  More popular classes will require sign-up the day before the class will take place. Simply log-in with your FSU ID and register for the class you want to take.

The variety of fitness classes that the Leach Center has is astounding. From beginner levels to the more advanced, you can start out anywhere you feel is best for your body. Some favorite types of classes are Step, where you use step heights to engage your leg and lower body muscles to perform a cardio workout.  Power Kick is a kickboxing class that will increase your upper body strength.  Spinning is a popular class that is high speed bicycling to the tune of catchy and upbeat music. Barre Fusion using ballet, dumbbells, and other dance moves to help strengthen your muscles. If these classes are not up your alley there is always Yoga for engaging your mind and body by increasing your flexibility. Zumba is another option. This class includes Latin-inspired dance moves that are sure to make you work up a sweat. Invite your friends to join you for a class so you will be motivated to go.

Some other aspects of the Leach Center for the spring semester are the grocery tours and wellness checkups. The grocery tours are a way to show you exactly what to shop for in the supermarket. Since buying food can be tricky, these tours can help you choose better food. A list of dates can be found online, and the Leach Center offers transport from 11 to 12:30 pm to Publix. Another service is the wellness testing. Free health consulatations and body composition tests are available if you sign-up at the Fitness Counter at the Leach Center.

Call the Leach Center at 850-644-0548 for more information. 

Amanda is a Senior at Florida State University who loves writing about local Tallahassee culture, anything fashion related, and tips to help all college girls live a happy & healthy lifestyle! She also has her own blog, www.affordablebyamanda.com where she talks about beauty, lifestyle, fashion and college related tips!
Her Campus at Florida State University.