Someone Turned Famous Vines Into a Poetry Book and People Have Mixed Feelings About It

I’m not saying Vine is what made life worth living, but I am saying that things seem to have been going downhill since Vine’s death. Nevertheless, Vine continues to be an icon for the millennial generation. The legacies of famous vines live on in the forms of Twitter threads and YouTube compilation videos, which allow people to watch and share the six-second videos themselves. Now, people have found a new way to preserve their favorite vines: through poetry.

Courtesy: Vine and Tea

It all started with Milk and Vine, published on Oct. 22. After the author tweeted photos of the book, the post went viral and the book quickly became an Amazon number one bestseller. Next followed Vine and Tea on Nov. 5, also becoming a bestseller, and then Vine and Honey on Nov. 10. The prices of the books fluctuate, but as of now, each one ranges from $4-6. All three books are parodies of Rupi Kaur’s (real) poetry book, Milk and Honey, and feature some of the most famous vines formatted as poems. 

Courtesy: Kendall Hinson

Many people of the Internet are rejoicing at this new way to enjoy the masterful content Vine blessed the world with. Others, however, are expressing harsh critiques of the books. Some people, including Viners themselves, are accusing the authors of stealing and profiting off of others’ content without receiving permission or giving credit. As of now, none of the books cite the accounts that originally posted the vines. However, the authors of Milk and Vine released a statement defending the legality of their book, while the author of Vine and Tea announced that future printings of his book will include an additional two pages listing the Viners that are quoted. 

Courtesy: Milk and Vine

Defenders of the books argue that Viners are not profiting off of their vines as it is, so the books aren’t taking revenue away from them. On the other hand, the Viners are also not receiving compensation for their words, so while the books may be legal, their morality is questionable.

Courtesy: Milk and Vine

Another major criticism is that these books disrespect Kaur’s book, which explores topics of severe trauma, including Kaur’s personal struggles with rape and abuse. Conversely, another take is that these books pay homage to Milk and Honey, as well the vines they’re quoting, and are a creative way of celebrating them both. In terms of copyright infringement on Milk and Honey’s style and design, some people note that Kaur herself has been accused of plagiarizing the work of poet Nayyirah Waheed.

The controversy surrounding these books reiterates how foggy the parameters of intellectual property are. Art births more art, and the point of crossover between inspiration and plagiarism is a moving target. Every person in the world will never totally agree on these matters, but one thing everyone can surely agree on is that no matter what, Vine will live forever in our hearts. 

Courtesy: Milk and Vine

Her Campus at Florida State University.