Florida State University (FSU)is one of two schools in Florida to have a full degree program for music therapy. The College of Music offers a Bachelor and Master of Music Therapy as well as multiple specialized programs. To learn more about what music therapy is and its benefits, I spoke to an amazing friend of mine, Juseliz Lefebre.

Juseliz is in her third year at FSU studying music therapy. She has been involved in music since middle school and was band captain for her high school, Cooper City High School, in Broward County. In her time at FSU, she has learned multiple instruments including guitar and piano as well as continuing to master her primary instrument, the oboe. I was very excited to get to hear more about her passion and the program at FSU.

HerCampus (HC): How would you explain music therapy for people who may not be familiar with it?

Juseliz Lefebre (JL): Music therapy is a clinical and evidence-based use of music therapy interventions and addresses therapeutic goals in an individualized way. Music therapy can be tactile stimulation to humming for a baby in the NICU. It can be a drum circle in a group session that allows for group-leading, self-expression through instrument playing, collaboration and social skills. It can be a Music Therapist singing to aid a patient with vocalizing and communication. Music may serve as a distraction for women in labor or other individuals going through intensive procedural examinations. Music, as we know, is all around us, and we are often fooled by the many benefits it can provide to any individual in a variety of ways.

HC: What types of illness or conditions benefit from music therapy?

JL: Mostly anyone could benefit from music therapy! Populations range from prenatal with expectant mothers to premature babies in the NICU, to schools, to elderly in hospice. Music therapy can aid patients in rehabilitation, emotional coping, self-expression, cognitive stimulation and overall promote wellness. Music therapy works along with the health professional team and together strive to improve the quality of life for the patient.

HC: What drew you to music therapy?

JL: I discovered the effects that music can have on individuals and learned that there is true science and research behind why music works; from its abilities to chemically change brain structure and rewire neural networks, to bringing up past memories, to serving as an outlet for self-expression and communication.

HC:  What type of things do you learn or have you learned in the music therapy program at FSU?

JL: I absolutely love the Music Therapy program at FSU. As all music majors do, I learned new instruments, like piano and guitar, both of which I’ll use later in my career. Music Therapy involves mainly music and psychology classes, so I’ve had the opportunity to learn from different music cultures and history, to sign language and special education practices. In several classes, I can observe Music Therapists and go and be involved in the community through my classes, like attending senior choirs and playing in guitar groups for older adults.

HC: What type of qualifications do you need to be a music therapist?

JL: In order to be a Music Therapist, one must complete at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Therapy at a qualified university. The only universities in Florida with this degree are Florida State and University of Miami, with very small classes provided at Florida Gulf Coast University. Upon completion of the degree, students must complete an internship of at least 1200 clinical hours. Once a successful internship of about 6 months is completed, interns go on to take the National Board Certification Exam for the Certification Board for Music Therapists to demonstrate the appropriate knowledge for practice and providing services.

HC: Is there anything you wish people knew about music therapy?

JL:  Music therapy is still an emerging career in the medical field, and not often recognized as such. There is a common misconception of “hospital musicians” or “music volunteers” when in reality, there is a purpose to each, and every method and goal-directed toward an individual a Music Therapist may implement during their intervention. Music therapists are trained to engage in therapeutic interventions that directly target the areas an individual needs. Another ongoing issue is not only the assurance that these services are provided by a credentialed Music Therapist but the lack of coverage and recognition across the states and insurance companies.

To learn more about the music therapy program, check out the FSU’s College of Music website and follow Juseliz on Instagram @juseliz.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Rachel Heinbockel. I am in my third year at FSU majoring in Religion and minoring in Psychology. I joined Her Campus to make connections with many amazing women at FSU and I am hoping for a great year!