aaa1png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
aaa1png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Michelle Le

Meet Michelle Le: President of AAA Health

I had the pleasure of interviewing Michelle Le, President of AAA Health, about her time at FSU and the development of her organization. The AAA Health organization provides numerous community service opportunities and isn’t major-specific, so anyone is welcome to join!

Her Campus (HC): What made you choose FSU? 

Michelle Le (ML): I chose Florida State University because of their generosity and the numerous opportunities available to their student body. The immense amount of resources and support FSU provides led me to believe that I would be able to attain many academic, professional and personal achievements in my undergraduate career. Not to mention, our campus is beautifully historic.

HC: What inspired you to start AAA Health? 

ML: My passions for service, medicine and mentorship inspired me to create AAA Health. As I’ve acquired wisdom and knowledge throughout all of my experiences throughout my collegiate years, I’ve gained a sense of urgency to share what I’ve learned and empower others. I felt that it was important to have an organization on campus that truly cares about the holistic growth of their members. AAA Health’s inclusion of discussions on topics involving health and socioeconomic disparities truly inspires our members to become active citizens in their local communities. We aim to build empathy, wisdom and dedication in our students. Empowerment is the best tool for any type of movement or positive change in society.

HC: What were some challenges you had to overcome while starting a new club?

ML: There were many challenges involving the formal process of creating an organization through FSU SGA. The process of explaining the mission of this organization 100+ times, and finding signatures and an executive board was difficult. But the triumphs were well worth it. Eventually, I was able to speak the mission [into] existence and find an executive board that believed in that mission just as much as I do. 

HC: How did your expectations compare to the outcome of the first meeting?

ML: Our outcomes always exceed our expectations and that is due to the hard work and dedication of our amazing executive board and members.

HC: What makes it stand out? 

ML: To better serve our communities, we work with students and organizations to comprehensively Analyze local health disparities, Act through service and Advocate for at-risk populations while also promoting health equity and equality. The continual holistic growth of our members is extremely important to us, so together, we engage in activities that foster experience and wisdom in pre-medical/pre-health academia and volunteer work.

HC: Who is the director and what is his/her role/significance?

ML: We have an advisor and her name is Mrs. Thesla-Berne Anderson. She is also the director of the FSU College of Medicine’s College Outreach and Precollege Outreach Program Director. She aids us in any formal proceedings we may have and offers academic support to our members.

HC: What kind of opportunities does AAA Health provide? 

ML: We provide opportunities for students to learn more about health disparities and get involved within the community. This semester we are offering volunteer opportunities at homeless shelters, community gardens, nursing homes and more. We are also providing professional development workshops, CPR certifications, health student panels, medical ethics discussions and more.

HC: How can people get involved in this organization? 

ML: People can get involved by attending our GBM’s or reaching out to our executive board for more information though AAAHealthOrg@gmail.com.

HC: How often does the organization meet?

ML: Every other Thursday at 5:30 PM in the College of Medicine room 1306. The spring 2019 schedule is as follows: Feb. 14, 28; Mar. 14, 28; Apr. 11.

HC: Are there any requirements? If so, what are they? 

ML: The only requirements are good vibes and an eagerness to get involved and grow holistically.

Consider joining AAA if you’re interested in getting involved in the Tallahassee community with a great group of passionate people!

All photos courtesy of Michelle Le.

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.