Style > Beauty

Jane Katz: Die-Hard Chi-Omega Fan & The Beauty Of Balance in College

Name: Jane Katz

Major: Communication Science and Disorders with an Interdisciplinary Certificate in Developmental Disabilities

Year: Senior

Jane Katz is an aspiring speech mythologist who enjoys spending her time hanging with friends and helping out her sorority. Jane Katz is a perfect example of how life might turn out differently than originally planned; nonetheless, with a positive attitude, Jane lives her life to the fullest.

Her Campus: What is the hardest part about balancing school, work and everything else?

Jane Katz: The hardest part about balancing work, school, my sorority and a position would have to be sacrificing things for others and being able to prioritize one thing over another, especially social obligations.

HC: Although stress is a part of the process, why do you continue to do what you do to make it worth it?

JK: It’s worth it because after I accomplish things its extremely rewarding and makes missing out on other things feel so small. There’s times when I look at my SnapChat and see my friends going out (even though I have a social life too) and really wish I was a freshman again! Of course, growing up is a part of life and so is accepting a tougher workload.

HC: I see you’re very involved with your sorority, how did you know that Chi Omega was right for you?

JK: I knew that Chi Omega was out of the norm about what people say about “sororities” the first day of recruitment when I was a PNM (potential new member). I was so close to not rushing and thought that sororities were not for me, but something in me told me to give it a chance. The second I walked into Chi O, I felt at home. Everyone in my rho gam group was confused and conflicted, and the entire week I just knew. Every single girl I spoke to was genuine, funny, sweet and had something special about them. That’s the beauty of Chi O. Everyone is so different and unique, but all of them have a special spark in them that makes them a Chi Omega. Once I joined, I would see this every day in every girl I would meet. There is so much passion, desire and good in this chapter. We are so involved around campus and the why behind it all is Make-A-Wish.

HC: Can you tell us about your affiliation with Make-A-Wish?

JK: Make-A-Wish a non-profit organization that gives wishes, or experiences, to children with life-threatening medical conditions. Make-A-Wish is close to my heart because last spring I was the assistant philanthropy chair for our philanthropy event, Chi O Creole, where we raised $35,000. Chi O and Make-A-Wish have been partnered for 14 years, and we have raised over 14 million dollars, donated over 800,000 volunteer hours and granted over 200,000 wishes. I think this organization is so important to me because I’ve always had a passion for helping people, especially those in need. As an aspiring speech-language pathologist, I just think if one of those Make-a-Wish children were my patients and how life changing and special that experience would be to them.

Courtesy: Jane Katz

HC: Can you tell us about the position you hold in Chi Omega?

JK: I am currently the scholarship chair, and I am the former philanthropy chair assistant. Chi O, similar to any organization, is what you make of it, so the fact that I am very involved and hold leadership positions just makes it that much more special and rewarding to have the privilege of being in this chapter.

HC: So we get the sense you’re busy A LOT. Why do you do it?

JK: The most rewarding thing about being a hard worker is success. Success is not always the outcome of hard work, of course, but after working so hard at something, whether it is a test or putting together an event, and to see a positive outcome is in indescribable feeling and nothing is more rewarding, especially if it is benefitting others instead of just myself.

HC: So you originally played soccer? Is balance something you’re used to?

JK: I have played soccer my whole life, so balancing school and sports, plus friendships and everything else have always been the norm for me. In college, it is just a different kind of balance: less sports, more studying, more work and more preparation for the future, and in my case, that would be grad school.

HC: Tell us about what’s to come in your future, Jane Katz!

JK: I’m extremely excited to hopefully further my education in speech-language pathology and actually put my knowledge to practice and get to work with actual clients instead of just learning about anatomy, or speech disorders (which is of course interesting, but I want some fun too). Being a Seminole has helped me tremendously. Without my undergrad experience here, being accepted my sophomore year into the major of my dreams and the incredible professors I’ve had, amazing work and research opportunities, Chi O and friends I’ve made along the way, I would not even be close to the person or student that I am today.

HC: Last but DEFINITELY not least, why Florida State, especially since you didn’t originally go here your first semester of college?

JK: I have always wanted to go to FSU since I was a little girl. I have pictures as a baby in FSU t-shirts and grew up a Seminole. My dad went here, and my mom went to UF (sorry mom). I’ve always been a daddy’s girl I guess you could say, so ever since I knew what the Seminoles were, I knew that I hated the Gators. I would say that he has definitely been my biggest inspiration and my best friend. Growing up playing soccer my whole life, he was always right there to support me, even being my coach for a few years. As I continued to grow and become a competitive player, it was clear that I had the potential to play soccer in college. It was always between that and FSU, so I figured I would give it a chance and ended up at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette my freshman year summer to play soccer. After the Fall semester, I transferred to FSU and immediately felt like I was home. 

Courtesy: Jane Katz

Her Campus at Florida State University.