I Tried TikTok’s Feta Pasta Recipe: Here’s How It Went

If you’ve been on TikTok recently, you may have been bombarded with videos about a certain pasta recipe that has been gaining immense popularity. I am not much of a cook, but the steps seemed easy enough that even I could do it. A recipe that had gone viral this quickly had to be worth trying, right? I have seen so many videos and positive reviews within a few days that I knew I had to test it out for myself.

The Ingredients:

Pasta ingredients
Original photo by Taylor Rainey

• 10 oz pasta
  • Eight oz block of feta cheese
  • Two pints cherry tomatoes
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • One tsp salt
  • One tsp black pepper
  • One tsp oregano
  • One tsp red pepper flakes
  • Two garlic cloves
  • ¼ cup basil 

Each recipe I saw had slightly different amounts for the ingredients, so I ended up taking ideas from each and modifying them based on what I had. I didn’t really measure the seasonings and I only had one pint of tomatoes, so I cut off some feta so it wouldn’t be too overpowering. I have seen other videos of people using different seasonings or adding spinach or shrimp. This is your dish; you can make whatever changes your heart desires!

The Process:

Tomatoes before oven
Original photo by Taylor Rainey
I started by preheating the oven to 400 degrees while I prepped the ingredients. I rinsed the tomatoes and put them in a glass baking dish with olive oil, salt and pepper, and stirred until the tomatoes were coated. Then, I added the block of feta cheese to the middle and added more olive oil and seasoned with pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes. I then peeled two cloves of fresh garlic and dropped them in with everything else. I put the dish in the oven and set a timer for 30 minutes.

Tomatoes after oven
Original photo by Taylor Rainey
While the ingredients were cooking, I started to boil my pasta. I used farfalle (bowties), but you can use any type of short pasta like shells or elbows. After 30 minutes, the tomatoes had burst, and the feta was soft and browned at the top. I took the skin off the roasted garlic cloves and put the creamy inside parts back in the dish. I mixed it all together until well combined.

Pasta in bowl
Original photo by Taylor Rainey

Once my sauce was ready, I added the drained pasta. I cut up some fresh basil into strips and mixed it in too, then added some extra for the top.

The Verdict:

So, does this pasta live up to its reputation? My answer is yes! TikTok is not messing around. At first, I was skeptical of how feta cheese would taste with pasta, but it brought a rich and tangy flavor that paired nicely with the sweetness of the cherry tomatoes. The fresh basil and garlic really helped add some bold flavor. This was relatively easy to make; just set aside some time to prep the ingredients and the oven does most of the work for you! 

This was a fun and simple new way to make pasta, and it was a nice variation from the usually canned tomato sauce. If you’re a fan of feta cheese and creamy, tomato-based sauces, then you’ll love this recipe. I’m glad I gave it a try and will definitely make it again. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Taylor Rainey is a senior at Florida State University studying Marketing and Psychology. This is her third year as a member of Her Campus at FSU. When she’s not focusing on her studies, she can be found exploring around town, listening to music, or fueling her love for coffee shops and boba tea.
Her Campus at Florida State University.