Wellness > Mental Health

How to Motivate Yourself to Get Through an Overwhelming Week

Whenever I already know I’m going to have a large workload and a stressful week, I start going into panic mode. As soon as I get overwhelmed, I get worn out and all I want to do is sleep. When you’re drained from a long week or a long day, finding the motivation to get up and finish your tasks can sometimes feel like the hardest thing to do. In this list, I have gathered some advice on how to make it past hump-day and de-stress during those weeks when you just want to quit.

Keep Your Planner Close

During a busy week, it is imperative to keep track of everything with a planner. When you get busy, your mind is constantly distracted so it can be easy to forget some of your tasks if you don’t have them written down. With a planner, you can keep track of your schedule and stay on top of your work. You can plan your meals, grocery lists, appointments and way more! If you like bullet journaling, you can use it to keep track of your mood and sleep, too. When you stay organized, you’ll find yourself feeling less overwhelmed and more determined. As soon as you start crossing things off your to-do lists, you’ll begin to feel more accomplished and productive during your jam-packed week.

Plan Strategic Breaks

When we work ourselves for too long, we can start having headaches and end up feeling drained. Make sure you’re setting aside time for yourself to have a moment of relaxation. If you’ve been working on the computer for a while, it can help to get off of all technology and read a book or even take a quick nap. You could take a break to go grab some food, go for a walk, text your friends, watch a few episodes of your favorite T.V. show – whatever it takes to recharge and clear your head. Going on a run or a walk, or doing any type of exercise to get your blood pumping is really helpful in order to get through stress.

Hold Yourself Accountable

If you find yourself skipping out on much-needed routines, it’s time to hold yourself accountable. When you’re stressed, you may find yourself skipping meals, or having trouble sleeping and not getting a full night of rest. Set alarms for when you should start getting ready to go to bed. Set reminders to eat a snack or take a break if you need to. It can also be useful to let your friends or family know about your workload, so they can check up on you and act as a support system while you work through your week.

Courtesy: Unsplash, Luke van Zyl

Plan Something Fun to Do

When you have something fun to look forward to at the end of the day or at the end of the week, you can start changing your mindset for the week. Whether you want to plan something to do by yourself during some downtime or you want to meet up with your friends to celebrate the end of the week, make sure you are giving yourself space and time to treat yourself. You deserve it! If you’re too busy to plan something, go out of your way to study in your favorite coffee shop or in an environment that is more exciting than your room or the library and makes you feel comfortable.

Selena is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Media Communication Studies and minoring in Film Studies. She loves talking about music, film, and funny YouTube videos. You can connect with her on Instagram: @selenaponton
Her Campus at Florida State University.