Wellness

How to Be a Girl Boss: COVID-19 Edition

The past few months of quarantine have affected us all in different ways. For some of us, this meant a few months of relaxation, maybe even some time off of work, and getting to stay inside while waiting out the pestilence outside. But then, ever so slowly, a certain degree of normalcy returned to our lives. After so long in isolation, it’s time to get back into a productive rhythm. When was the last time you took a moment to simply breathe? What about learning a new skill? Or update your resume? Don’t worry. It can be hard to get back in the swing of things after a long idle period, which is why I have a few tips to get back in the girl boss groove.

1) Take a Deep Breath

Being in isolation so long has taken a toll on all of us. Remember, your experiences are valid. It’s okay if you didn’t spend quarantine on a journey of self-actualization. It’s easy to forget that going through an experience such as this can manifest itself differently in everyone. Not being productive every single day of quarantine doesn’t make you a bad person, it just makes you human. Take a moment to ground yourself with these words, then manifest a productive mindset.

2) Self-Evaluate

Now that you’ve grounded yourself, take another moment to do some self-evaluation. Think about any skills or special interests you have. What were some of your favorite hobbies while in isolation? Did you learn any new skills, such as sewing or baking? To get back on your girl boss grind, you need to figure out what your passions and skills are. The things that genuinely make you happy will provide you with the motivation necessary to do that.

Along with your skills and passions, examine your school performance. How did you do last semester? For most of us, the transition from in-person to online was an unprecedented speed bump in our education. Think about any problems you faced during this transition. If you felt overwhelmed with keeping track of online assignments, consider investing in a planner to stay more organized. If the problem was a lack of motivation, come up with a reward system for completing assignments on time. Maybe you had an existential crisis over quarantine and realized that your current major isn’t for you. There’s nothing wrong with that! Take the steps to speak to an academic advisor or a career counselor to figure out your next move. Revisit some of your passions and special skills. Perhaps one of these can even be molded to fit a new degree plan!

Finally, think about your mental health. Was your lack of motivation due to not wanting to deal with online classes? Or is it due to deeper depressive feelings or actions? It’s important to not put your mental health on the backburner. Talk to someone you trust about how you’ve been feeling. Go for a walk, especially if it’s been a while since you’ve left the house. Clean up your workspace or bedroom so that it’s set for the new semester. School is important, yes, but not more important than making sure you are happy and secure with yourself.

3) Get on Your Grind

minimalist desk space with a pink folder and a plant. a gold plaque reads "lady boss"
Photo by Marten Bjork from Unplash

This is, more than any other stage, the most action-packed. You’ve accumulated all of this energy from getting yourself motivated, but now what do you do with it? Ladies, it is time to grind. Start this stage by writing down three goals for yourself: short-term, mid-term and long-term. Your short-term goal should be a task that can be completed in the next few months. This could be things like pledging to work out a few times a week or to have all A’s for the semester. Mid-term goals extend a little farther, from a few months to a year or so outward. Examples include graduating on-time or saving a certain amount of money in the next few years. Long-term goals extend far into the future, being things like landing your dream job or moving to a new city after college. Having a tangible reminder of what you’re working towards is a great motivator. Any time you feel overwhelmed, or you need a reminder of why you’re working as hard as you are, you have your goals to ground you.

Now that you have your goals, it’s time to put in that work! There’s no denying that this semester is going to be much different than in the past. It’s more important now than ever to stay motivated and on top of all of your responsibilities. Make sure that you’re completing assignments on time, as well as starting long-term assignments well before they’re due. Are you thinking of working this semester? If so, find your resume and update it with all of the new skills you acquired over the last few months. Update (or create) your LinkedIn profile as well. Doing small things to prepare for a job in college will also prepare you for applying to internships and careers later in life.         

4) Go on and Be Great

Getting back into a routine is hard, especially under such unprecedented circumstances. Although it may be hard at first, restarting your productivity is the best way to be a girl boss, and whether you’ve started school again, are looking for a new job or are just looking for a way to get out of that post-quarantine funk, I wish you success and goodwill.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Lover of indie music, travelling, and my two cats Follow me on all of my adventures! Instagram: @underscorelili
Her Campus at Florida State University.