How to Actually Eat Healthy When You Have a Meal Plan

Healthy eating in college can be really hard. There’s temptation everywhere, from the mac and cheese shop on Gaines Street to the Donut Kingdom on West Tenn. There are truly limitless options when it comes to junk food in Tallahassee, so it can be difficult sometimes to choose the more health-conscious option. Luckily for us Florida State students, we have some incredible dining facilities, so you always have options before or after class. Keep reading if you want suggestions to some of the best options for every meal on campus that won’t break the bank or your scale. 

Breakfast

One place students love to go for breakfast on-campus is Einstein Bros Bagels. They accept meal swipes up to a $6 value in addition to accepting Flex Bucks or FSU Cash. However, not all of their choices are healthy. Instead of opting for the usual bagel and cream cheese, maybe go for something lighter like an avocado toast or a sandwich with egg whites. Instead of ordering a vanilla hazelnut latte filled with sugar, try instead an unsweetened cold brew to start your morning. 

If you’re in a dining hall like Suwannee for breakfast, always go for simple breakfast foods like eggs or yogurt and fruit. They’re low-calorie, high protein and will fill you with energy for a long day of classes ahead. 

Courtesy: Glassdoor

Lunch

A classic on-campus spot for lunch is Subway on Woodward Avenue. Subway has tons of different combinations depending on what you’re in the mood for, but they have a menu specifically aimed towards those watching their health. It’s called the Fresh Fit menu, and all of the six-inch subs on it have 350 calories or less. 

While you’re ordering your sandwich, don’t be tempted to pick up a bag of Doritos or a Coke. Instead, opt for an unsweetened iced tea or a bottle of water (you probably need one, anyway). If the sandwich just isn’t enough for you, try adding a small cup of soup or some apple slices. 

Dinner

The Den is one location on campus where you can get a meal no matter what time of day it is. They’re open 24 hours and accept virtually any form of payment using an FSU Card or cash. One great meal to get at the Den is dinner because they have tons of options including burgers, burritos and salads. 

If you’re looking to stay on the healthier side, try one of their signature salads. The Veggie Quinoa Salad and the Southwestern Chicken Salad are both great options, and neither have a calorie count higher than 660. Whether it’s 6 p.m. or 2 a.m., the Den has your back for a wholesome dinner. 

Courtesy: Seminole Dining

While healthy eating in college might not be easy, it’s certainly possible. When you have meal swipes to keep you accountable, it can be even easier to keep yourself on track. Whether you’re training for a sport or just trying to keep the freshman 15 at bay, it’s always beneficial to fuel your body with whole foods. And of course, if you really need a treat, the Suwannee ice cream machine is always there when you need it. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior at Florida State University studying Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Film Studies and Computer Science. I'm passionate about music, movies, and media!
Her Campus at Florida State University.