Anxiety has encapsulated me for the majority of my life. Sometimes in moments of self-reflection, I will find that I am anything but okay. Sometimes it sneaks up on me, building steadily and unnoticed until I am swallowed whole. Focusing all of your energy on taking care of other people while neglecting to set aside time for yourself too is unmanageable. This is a lesson a lot of us need to take the time to learn.

My therapist in high school used to tell me I was impressively in tune with my feelings and self, but she could recognize that I would refrain from expressing them in fear of hurting, burdening or inconveniencing the people I love. Retraining your brain to believe your feelings are not a burden to yourself or anyone else is a near-impossible feat. She encouraged me to name these bad feelings and told me it was important that I not only accept, but also confront them, and learn to get along with my inner turmoil. My anxiety became Bug, and whenever Bug started to grow, I got into the habit of meditating to try and talk things out with him.

One of the fundamental issues with the presentation of self-care, especially on social media platforms, is that they don’t always acknowledge how ugly mental illness can be. You can’t cure depression with a face mask, you can’t get rid of bipolar with a bubble bath and you can’t erase schizophrenia with a mani-pedi. I only struggle with anxiety, but the issue is the same across the board. While physically pampering yourself is nice and can be a great tool for relaxation, it is not a quick fix for the hard stuff. It’s all fine and dandy to fill a bathtub with rose petals and bath bombs and call it a day, but what will this do when you can’t get out of bed, brush your hair or teeth, or eat?

Meditation is a substantially different and unfortunately overlooked form of self-care. My on-and-off journey with meditation began junior year of high school upon my therapist’s recommendation. I prefer the Headspace app as I’ve been using it for years, but you can find some great guided meditations on YouTube or even meditate in silence. Customize it to what works best for you. I try to work it into my morning routine when I get ready for the day, and again if needed. Meditation puts an emphasis on developing a relationship with yourself and communicating with all of the good, middle and bad inside of you in a positive and nurturing manner. The more that you meditate, the easier it becomes to listen to your body, mind and heart. You are fine-tuning your brain to operate better in the same way an intense weights workout helps to create a stronger and healthier physical body.

woman meditating on the beach
Photo by Simon Rae from Unspash
Meditation is, in my opinion, the most effective form of self-help for the overworked, overwhelmed and mentally struggling. If you are effervescent and overjoyed or bawling your eyes out unable to breathe, meditation can enhance your good mood or help bring you back to reality. It is something anyone in any state of mind can equip. Your experience with your practice will vary every time, but one thing I have always found to be fixed is how grounding it is. It will not erase your burdens, but it can help living with them be a little easier. Meditation has worked wonders for my outlook on life and mental health, especially when used in conjunction with therapy and anti-anxiety medication. If you need therapy or medication as a part of your self-help routine in managing your mental health, I don’t recommend using meditation in place of these things. I do, however, recommend using it to elevate and accentuate them. Your mental health issues are not your enemy.

I have found that, after a great meditation, there is a moment right after you open your eyes where the whole world is full of serenity. I am not always there, but it has helped me find my peace. If you’re interested in starting your own meditation journey, here are a few great places to start:

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Emma Cryer is a current Florida State University senior majoring in Communications/Media Studies and minors in English and film! In her free time, you can find her in the gym, reading, or laughing with friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.