We all know that life in college comes with plenty of new and overwhelming responsibilities that we haven’t had to deal with before. Who knew that feeding ourselves would be such a feat? It can be incredibly challenging to balance school, work and our social lives all while maintaining our physical and mental health. Throwing in a pandemic on top of all that creates complete chaos.

So, how can we keep up with our health in the chaotic mess of new responsibilities that we call college while also navigating a pandemic? Here are some tips for you.

mask
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

1. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

Okay, so this may be obvious because we’ve been hearing it since March but it’s still just as relevant and important. Germs are everywhere and it’s easy to continue on in our daily lives without even thinking about where we’ve been or what we’ve touched. We have to be mindful about it these days. Sanitizing is especially important in college when you are constantly using shared spaces, whether that be communal bathrooms, libraries or dining halls.

2. Wash your hands after you’ve used communal spaces.

Using hand sanitizer is so easy and extremely critical to preventing the spread of germs. Of course, you don’t need to be constantly reapplying, but using it after touching door handles or eating in the dining hall is going to help prevent catching and spreading the virus.

3. Use your own kitchen utensils.

I know it is easy to share utensils and dishes whether you’re living in a dorm or an off-campus apartment. In this case, it might be contributing to the spread of germs. Shared dishes in the dining halls or in your apartment or dorm might not be cleaned properly. Using your own utensils helps you to avoid getting sick. Just to be extra cautious, use your own sponge too. I mean, how well do you think the dirty sponge in the communal kitchen is cleaning your dishes?

4. Eat foods that have at least some nutrition.

This is important because it is easy to lose track of when you last ate or how much you’ve stress eaten when it feels like you have three million tasks to accomplish by 11:59 p.m. tonight. Personally, I know how easy it is to go for the food in the library vending machines instead of cooking dinner, but there are easy foods that fill you up, keep you satisfied and aren’t terrible for you. Popcorn, apples, a handful of nuts and any sort of protein are all great options. Plus, nourishing our bodies means that they are growing stronger to ward off potential germs.

5. Drink water.

I think this one is pretty straight-forward. Water is extremely good for your body and staying hydrated means you’re avoiding the effects of dehydration like mental grogginess or sickliness.

6. Keep track of the things you need to accomplish.

Keeping a planner makes this really easy. There are plenty of ways to keep track of all of your tasks, so this is really just about finding what works best for you. Some people like to keep lists, while others live off their phone calendar. Personally, every Sunday I make a “to-do” list for every day of the week that week, so I know exactly what I need to get done every day.

7. Make time for self-care. Even if it’s only five minutes.

It may seem daunting to make time for self-care, but even just a few minutes of journaling or a quick 10-minute ab workout can make all the difference. Make time for just five minutes of something that helps relieve your stress and anxiety every day and you will notice a huge difference in your stress levels. With the pandemic, it is easy to lose track of time because classes are online and human contact is low. Making time for your mental health is a must, especially now.

8. Celebrate even the smallest accomplishments.

It can be so easy to be down on ourselves when we don’t meet our goals, or if we didn’t accomplish everything we wanted to get done in the day or the week. It can affect our motivation and mental health. By ending each day with highlighting one thing we did well or simply accomplished, we can set ourselves up for success in the future.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Riley Kayton is double majoring in Political Science and Editing, Writing, & Media at Florida State University. On any given day you can probably find her filming for the football team, or curled up with a good book.
Her Campus at Florida State University.