Wellness

The 75 Hard Challenge: Maybe a Little Too Hard?

Have you ever noticed and questioned the people on campus carrying those big plastic gallons of water everywhere? Well, there are two options: They’re either super thirsty, or some are on their 75 Hard Challenge journey. Find out more about the survival challenge surfacing the internet.

What is 75 Hard?

Despite being around for a few years, the 75 Hard Challenge has been a trend and a new year resolution for many young adults. Created by Andy Frisella in 2019, this challenge was known explicitly as not only a fitness program, but also a transformational mental toughness program on his website. Made to promote confidence and self-esteem boosts in less than three months, it promises permanent change in your life if done correctly and consistently.  

Rules & Criteria

1. Follow a diet— any diet with absolutely no cheat meals or alcohol 

2. Complete two 45-minute workouts a day, where one must be outdoors 

3. Take a progress picture every day

4. Drink one gallon of water every day 

5. Read 10 pages of a book every day

“You are about to embark on the hardest 75 days of your life. But if you can get through it without cheating, you will come out on the other side as the hardest, most disciplined version of yourself. The habits you develop and what you learn about yourself will change your life forever.” 

These words may be inspirational, but also slightly misleading. Despite its healthy ring, one can look at this list and not wonder if these are scientifically healthy choices.  

Analyzing the Methods of the Challenge

Experts discuss the complicated opinions regarding Frisella’s challenge. Considering outside factors, one should be allowed to miss some days or alter the challenge accordingly. It is mainly the rule of starting over that makes this healthy challenge somewhat questionable. From drowning in school, to long shifts at work, to having a social life, balancing everything is a time-consuming process and takes some self-discipline. Especially for college students, changing up the 75 Hard challenge might benefit everyone’s personal lives more.  

Everybody is built differently. Some have underlying health problems where their bodies cannot handle rigorous activity with a diet. Beginners should be able to substitute low-intensity workouts like yoga and pilates for shorter periods. Additionally, college students are constantly prone to getting sick with the weather change and flu season. What if you get ill in the middle of those 75 days and your body can’t handle it? How fair would it be to start over and feel like a failure when your body needs those extra nutrients and chocolate cravings for morale? Taking pictures to track the physical changes your body is going through can be an excellent resource to look back at, but it may be discouraging. It is easy to get obsessive over the lack of progress or develop demotivation when there is no visual change. The perpetual pressure of having your life together and a diet can have both positive and negative effects.  

In social settings, there be foods that don’t match your strict diet plan, but it’s in your hands to be in control and make the decisions. For example, nutritionist Teresa Cutter developed the 80/20 diet that still helps people lose weight and be healthy—eating nutritious foods like whole grains, protein, healthy fats, fruits, vegetables and water 80% of the time. The remaining 20% is eating your favorite foods, whether a can of soda or chocolate ice cream. This may even be realistic for students trying to save money and don’t always have the financial freedom to purchase whole foods—eating healthy meals to fuel your body. Sometimes, we should be allowed to enjoy the “not-so-healthy foods” in life. Letting yourself have your favorite sweet and salty snacks is the real reward.  

Is This Challenge for You?

Putting aside Frisella’s best intentions and optimism, this is one of the most difficult challenges out there. So ask yourself some of these questions before moving forward. 

1. Am I doing this for myself or others? 
  1. What are my expectations and barriers? 
  1. What are some things I hope to accomplish besides completing this program? 
  1. Considering my personal life and circumstances, are these changes in habits and routine realistic? 
  1. Do I see myself maintaining this lifestyle in the long term? 

Although becoming a bookworm, having a dietary routine, being well-hydrated and insanely ripped may sound like enough to have one’s life together, there will always be potential drawbacks. As empowering as this challenge is, failure does not mean weakness either. We are human beings, not robots. Considering your personal lives and circumstances, you can decide whether you are built for such challenges.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

I am a junior at Florida State University double majoring in Media Communications Studies & Editing, Writing, and Media.