Wellness > Health

Coronavirus: What it is and Why You Should Care

Over the last few weeks, people have been increasingly fearful about a new virus originating out of Wuhan, China, called coronavirus. It seems as though cases and deaths due to the virus are increasing rapidly, and cases have even made their way to the United States. One of the main concerns surrounding the virus is that most people don’t know anything about it, which in turn has made it a subject of suspicion and fear.

The CDC is monitoring the virus intensely, and its origin surrounding a seafood market suggests that it could have had an animal-to-person spread. However, more recently people who have reported symptoms have had no contact with seafood, suggesting that person-to-person spread is now occurring. While the CDC is attempting to monitor the virus as closely as possible, it is a new mutation and the sustainability of the spread cannot yet be determined.

Confirmed symptoms from those who are known to be infected with the virus include fever, coughing, and shortness of breath. At this time, the CDC believes symptoms could appear in as little as two days after exposure, or as long as 14 days following exposure. Currently, there is no vaccination or fully effective prevention method, although there are things you can do to decrease the chances of spreading the disease. Frequently washing your hands, using hand sanitizer, staying home when you’re sick and avoiding close contact with those who are sick can greatly reduce your risk of contracting the virus.

Courtesy: Free To Use Sounds on Unsplash

There are also other, more extreme measures that are being implemented to stop the spread of the virus. The United States has set its advisory level at four, which is the highest possible safety risk. The State Department has issued a “do not travel” to China advisory, and many planes are being inspected upon landing, with passengers being checked for fever or other symptoms. The World Health Organization has now declared coronavirus to be a global health emergency, which acknowledges that the disease presents a substantial risk even outside of China. This decision came in the wake of coronavirus cases being seen when patients had not even traveled to China. At this point, countries throughout the United Nations can choose to close their borders or block any flights going to and from China.

Much of the panic stems from a new development of the virus was documented in Chicago, where an older man was infected after returning from a trip to Wuhan, China. His wife has since been infected as well, the first documented person-to-person transmission of the virus inside the United States.

So, the ultimate question, is coronavirus something to be fearful of? As of right now, cases are mostly limited to Wuhan, China and do not pose a significant threat to the United States. The cases which have been documented outside of China are mostly isolated events or Chinese tourists who had recently been in contact with those carrying the virus. While a new epidemic is always something that strikes fear across the world, panic is not useful unless absolutely necessary. If you follow all necessary precautions and keep proper hygiene, you likely won’t need to worry about coronavirus.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior at Florida State University studying Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Film Studies and Computer Science. I'm passionate about music, movies, and media!
Her Campus at Florida State University.