Life > Experiences

Kappa, Koffee and Goats: KKG’s Furry Mental Health Endeavor

Mental health affects many college students. With the course load and stress, many students face mental health challenges throughout university. Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKG) at Florida State University (FSU) aims to destigmatize mental health and do its best to support those affected by mental illness. The sorority will host their second annual Kappa, Koffee and Goats philanthropy event this March!

Kappa, Koffee and Goats will occur from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, March 8 at the Kappa Kappa Gamma Chapter Facility (528 W. Jefferson Street). Those who purchase a ticket will be able to customize their coffee, enjoy a donut and cuddle an adorable baby goat. Purchasing a ticket before the event from KKG’s CrowdChange will cost $5 and buying a ticket at the door will cost $7. Attending will automatically enter visitors into a raffle to potentially win a pair of Beats headphones, but additional donations at the event will allow for more entries.

So, where is the money from ticket purchases and donations going? All proceeds from Kappa, Koffee and Goats go towards KKG’s philanthropic partners: The National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI) and the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation. Half of the funds raised through Kappa, Koffee and Goats will go to NAMI and a quarter of them will go to the KKG Foundation. The other 25 percent of the money raised can be donated to a philanthropic partner of the chapter’s choosing, potentially going directly to the local NAMI organization in Tallahassee. NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization and aims to assist those affected by mental illness in building better lives. Kappa Kappa Gamma acknowledges the battle that millions of Americans face daily due to mental health struggles and continuously uses its vast membership and numbers to uplift this organization.

The women of KKG resonate closely with NAMI, as the general members of the chapter get to vote to decide their philanthropic partner from various mental health-related organizations every year. There is also a NAMI chapter at FSU for any interested in joining the battle to destigmatize mental health! FSU KKG Philanthropy Director, Bella Bozied, encourages membership, “They have so many great bonding, communal and personal expression opportunities. It just shows that wherever you go, NAMI is strong!”

KKG’s philanthropic focus, mental health, was recently instituted a few years ago. The national Kappa Kappa Gamma organization felt that it was time to reevaluate its philanthropic goals. Many Americans have been facing mental health struggles since the founding of the nation. However, it wasn’t until the 21st century that the stigma surrounding mental health became continuously challenged. KKG realized how mental health impacts not only Kappa women, but also the world. They proudly changed their philanthropic focus to use their organization and large sisterhood to positively influence as many individuals as possible. KKG’s motto, “Dream Boldly, Live Fully” encapsulates this new worldwide vision for change.

The Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation equips women with the resources to spark change. They work to keep the organization of KKG moving in a positive and strong direction. They work closely with KKG chapters and alumni, providing old and new sisters alike with many resources. They provide emergency disaster relief, educational opportunities and financial support. The KKG foundation also provides merit and non-merit-based scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students that are members of the sisterhood to help them achieve their academic goals. The amount donated from Kappa, Koffee and Goats will go to support and uplift the wide sisterhood of KKG!

KKG feels that it is important to fundraise in support of these two organizations. The sorority continuously works to educate its members and host philanthropic events, such as Kappa, Koffee and Goats, to stress the importance of mental health and supporting others. KKG’s Bella Bozied adds, “I’m honored to proudly support and fundraise for the organization, and I hope with every event we hold that we’re able to educate people on the importance of mental health as well as the resources NAMI holds!” Service is one of the most important values of the KKG sorority women, and they hope to continue using their platform to ensure and expand access to mental health resources for all!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Grace is a junior at FSU from Martinsburg, West Virginia! She is studying one of her largest passions, History, and plans to graduate in the Fall/Winter of 2025. Grace serves as a Content Editor for Her Campus at FSU (HCFSU). Grace is involved in many organizations on campus, such as HCFSU, FSU Homecoming, and FSU's Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter. She is a go-to for anything History-related and is always looking for new adventures!