A Taste of the World: Reviewing FSU’s International Coffee Hour (January 2024)

If you’re interested in trying the flavors of the world without stepping foot off FSU’s campus, allow me to introduce you to International Coffee Hour (ICH). Every Friday, the FSU Center for Global Engagement (CGE) hosts various student organizations and gives them a spotlight to serve food and drinks from different countries and cultures. As a dedicated attendee, I’ll be reviewing every delicious treat served throughout the semester. Dig in, bon appétit, and buen provecho!

FSU students are back from winter break, and so is my favorite on-campus event: International Coffee Hour. My mouth has been watering in anticipation of the new, tasty treats of this semester, and I have to say, January’s samplings did not disappoint. ICH started strong this month with three treats that surely satisfy any sweet tooth: katayef and Turkish coffee, pound cake and hot chocolate, and quesitos and non-alcoholic coquito.

Jan. 12: Katayef and Turkish Coffee

For the first week of the semester, ICH hosted the Lebanese Student Organization (LSO) and served katayef and Turkish coffee. Lebanon is a country on the Mediterranean Sea, bordered by Syria and Israel. The LSO’s goal is to “increase awareness of Lebanese culture, customs, traditions, history, and language.”

Katayef is a type of pancake enjoyed throughout the Middle East. It’s cooked on a hot pan, deep fried, or baked, and is typically filled with cream or nuts and folded in half. It had a light and airy dough and subtly sweet filling, making it a wonderfully balanced treat. When paired with Turkish coffee, it was the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. Turkish coffee is known for being strong because it’s unfiltered and made from very finely ground beans.

Jan. 19: Pound Cake and Hot Chocolate

This week’s treat, pound cake and hot chocolate, was provided in partnership with the FSU Office of Student Agencies and Institutions.

Pound cake is typically made in a loaf shape, and it’s known for its rich flavor and moist texture. Its name comes from its original recipe, which calls for a pound of eggs, sugar, butter, and flour. This sweet confection was accompanied by another traditional favorite at this ICH: hot chocolate. You can’t go wrong with it. It makes me think of that particular “Hot chocolate!” scene from The Polar Express every time. You know exactly which one I’m talking about.

Jan. 26: Quesitos and Non-Alcoholic Coquito

For the final ICH treat of January, the Puerto Rican Student Association (PRSA) served quesitos and non-alcoholic coquito. Puerto Rico is an island in the Caribbean Sea known for its stunning mountains and rainforests. The PRSA’s mission is to improve “the quality of life for all Puerto Rican and other students at FSU, as well as to promote the Puerto Rican culture through social, educational, political, and service activities.”

Quesitos are baked pastries with a cheese filling. The pastries were crispy and flakey, and the cheese filling was perfectly savory. A dusting of powdered sugar added just the right pop of sweetness to this delightful treat. The coquito was creamy and spiced; it reminded me of eggnog. The drink is traditionally made with rum and served around the holidays, but this version was alcohol-free and under 21-friendly! Overall, I loved this combination. It was the perfect blend of sweet and savory!

This month’s ICH treats hit the spot and gave students a taste of some delicious international foods as well as some classic sweet staples. As always, my taste buds are satisfied, and I’ve learned a little more about some unique countries and cultures. Stay tuned for next month’s adventures in global cuisine!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Thea is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a major in English (Editing, Writing, and Media) and a minor in education. She loves listening to all genres of music and spending time outdoors.