Wellness > Mental Health

Breaking These Unhealthy Habits Will Help You Live Your Best Life

We all have habits. They can be social, psychological or can be other things that have a bearing on how we live our lives. While some habits are natural, others can negatively affect our happiness. When this happens, it’s best to remove yourself from whatever is holding you back. Here are some unhealthy habits that you should watch out for, so you can freely live your best life.

Comparing yourself to others

“Comparison is the thief of joy.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Comparison is hard to deal with because it makes it difficult to be yourself. Think about it, when you are constantly spending your time being jealous of what other people’s lives seem like, it’s not possible to be happy with your own life. As soon as you stop caring about what everybody else is doing, you can start being happy with your life. This will allow you to focus on your own lifestyle and make any changes to live the kind of life that you’ll be proud of.

Perfectionism

“Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days… and if I mess it up sometimes, nobody’s perfect. I gotta work it. I know in time I’ll find my way.” – Hannah Montana

There is a line between challenging yourself and being unable to accept your imperfections. As a class-A perfectionist, I know how easy it is to tell yourself that you could always be better than you are. This isn’t a positive way to live. I have learned over the past couple of years that the beginning of growth starts by recognizing and accepting where you’re currently at. It’s hard to move forward if you’re so focused on where you could be, so much so that you lose sight of your current standing in life.

No sleep

“Sleep is a source of physical and emotional resilience… a habit of poor sleep can wreak havoc on your mental health.”

Psychologists have proven time and time again how important a good night sleep is for us. It helps our memory, energy levels and our overall performance the next day. Missed zzz’s can affect our sleep cycles for days. The next time you’re tempted to pull an all-nighter, remember that it might be more helpful to get some sleep instead. Studying before bed helps your brain process the information while you sleep, making it easier to remember things in the long run.

Not being able to say “no”

Stop saying YES to everythingInstead, stand up for yourself and say NO lovingly, for everyone’s sake.” – Cynthia Belmer

If you find yourself having a hard time saying no to things, I totally get it. It’s so easy to be the “yes-man” sometimes. But if you find yourself in this position, you’ll probably find that things can get overwhelming real fast. Although it’s nice to feel like you’re needed, it’s also necessary to have boundaries. This may mean taking a step back from some things if you feel like you’re in over your head. There’s nothing wrong with this and it will help you put more heart and soul into what you are doing.

Take care of yourself!

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Miranda studies Editing, Writing and Media at Florida State University. She loves music, writing and travel. One of her favorite quotes is "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced." -Vincent Van Gogh
Her Campus at Florida State University.