The Best Foods to Eat before and after Working Out

Ah, the gym. Many of us Collegiettes have an on-again, off-again relationship with said torture chamber. On one hand, there’s the satisfying feeling of living a healthy lifestyle. The idea that your often sought-after dream bikini body is only a couple more treadmill miles away. I mean, who wouldn’t spend hours at the gym with the summer season quickly approaching? On the other hand, there’s the guilty pleasure of every woman out there: food. But not just any food. The best, most unhealthy, deliciously sweet and fatty foods; those are our guilty pleasures.

Unfortunately, eating a thousand doughnuts in one sitting right after getting home from spending an hour and a half at the gym is totally counterproductive. In an effort to help you Collegiettes out, I have listed the best foods to eat before and after you go to the gym in order to get those results you really want.

Pre-Workout

Bananas: Bananas carry digestible carbs that the body uses as fuel immediately after eating one. While you work out, keep in mind that your potassium levels drop, so eating a banana pre-workout will help balance those levels. They also help with muscle function during a workout.

Oats: Oats by themselves have a lot of fiber which releases carbohydrates into your bloodstream. Oats also carry vitamins that turn those carbs into energy before working out. Add yogurt to your oats and you’ve just added protein to your pre-workout meal. Add some milk and you’ve added calcium.

Fruit Smoothies: Natural fruit smoothies will give you enough energy to really push through that workout. Using a variety of fruits such as berries (blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.) and bananas will help your body remain energized while you work out.

Post-Workout

Eggs: Eggs contain multiple nutrients that keep the body healthy. Among those nutrients, they contain protein, which is essential for the body, especially after a workout. Protein is what helps the body feel full after a meal. Eggs help with weight loss, increasing muscle mass and bone health.

Chicken: Chicken contains one of the best sources of protein found in food. As mentioned above, protein helps muscle growth and weight loss. As an additional fun note, chicken also releases natural anti-depressants in your brain that give you feelings of warmth and happiness.

Salmon: Considered one of the healthiest foods in the world, salmon not only contains the protein necessary for muscle strength and weight loss, it also contains omega-3 fatty acids that help your heart stay healthy. Add a little asparagus (also considered one of the world’s healthiest foods) and you’re set for a nutrient-filled, healthy meal.

Remember though, these are not the only healthy foods you should eat before and after working out. Keep in mind that your body needs carbs and potassium pre-workout in order to give you energy and to balance your potassium levels during exercise. Afterward your body needs carbs and protein to help your body recover, replace the energy you used and build the muscle you desire. Keeping these foods in mind and doing some research of your own will make it simple to change your eating habits to complement your workouts. You can do this, Collegiettes! Your ideal body is only a couple lifestyle changes away.

Her Campus at Florida State University.