To Be Gluten Free or Not to Be, That is the Question

As I was making my oatmeal this morning I noticed that my cinnamon spice jar was boasting a gluten free label in the top right corner. This struck me as not only odd but also frustrating. As someone with a host of limiting dietary restrictions I have become relatively aware of what is in food. Even though I was a little late to the party on the gluten free craze I have done a lot of research on it recently and come to some interesting conclusions about gluten free diets and their relationship to college women. Like any trend, this one comes from a real place but has become completely distorted and any semblance of factual information has gotten lost in the ingredient label. My goal here is to clear up a few misconceptions about the gluten craze and offer information about both sides of the agreement so that Collegiettes can make an informed decision about what is best for their body.  To go back to my initial statement about the cinnamon, I would first like to state that gluten is wheat protein and labeling a spice gluten free is not only absurd but insulting to the consumer’s intelligence.

Unfortunately there is a huge gap in understanding when it comes to what gluten is, how it affects the body and which foods it is actually present in. As I said before gluten is wheat protein, but what does that mean? Gluten is combination of two proteins found in the endosperm of wheat, which is the seed tissue that is ground into flower. This protein can be extremely detrimental to those with celiac disease, but how does it affect the rest of us? Less than 1% of Americans are diagnosed with Celiac however it is estimated that only 5-10% of cases are diagnosed. You don’t need to have Celiac disease to avoid gluten in your diet; there is a rising number of individuals diagnosed with gluten intolerance and sensitivity. These people have legitimate health reasons and are advised to avoid gluten in their diets. But what about the rest of us? Should we all get on the gluten free bandwagon or go about our merry grain loving way? For this question I am afraid I do not have a concrete answer, however I do believe strongly that people should do considerable research before embarking on a new diet change. I would like to preface this statement by saying that there is conclusive research that many foods that have been altered to be gluten free contain more calories and fewer nutrients than in their original state. As far as gluten free goes there is considerable research supporting a totally gluten free diet for everyone. Dr. David Perlmutter published a book called Grain Brain, which claimed that grains, even whole grains can cause serious diseases and brain issues. His book explains how the way grains are digested can cause problems like ADHD, chronic headaches, depression, and anxiety. Perlmutter explains that there is a huge misconception concerning fat and carbs that it is not fat in food that makes us gain weight but the reaction our bodies have to carbohydrates. Additionally, the brain needs fats and carbohydrates to grow new brain cells. Again these assertions are those of Dr. Perlmutter, and while I found his book very interesting, this information is not my own research. That being said, before making any dietary changes it is advised to independent investigation is necessary. 

Third year Editing/Writing/Media & International Affairs Major.FSU Campus Correspondent Reader, Runner, Coffee lover."Everyones life ends the same way. It is only the details of how one lived and how one died that distinguish one man from another." ~Hemingway 
Her Campus at Florida State University.