4 Major Keys for Jumping into the New Year with a Bang

There is no denying that on January 1st of every year in the history of the world almost everyone is all about the phrase “New Year, New Me.” Everyone becomes so fixated on flailing head first into some health conscious, workout crazy lifestyle that they don’t even give themselves a second to mold their resolutions to their own personal goals and lifestyle. Now, there are countless ways to positively boost your lifestyle, so here are a few of the top ways to crash into 2016 feeling finer than Miley Cyrus on her wrecking ball.

1. Exercise, but at a steady, healthy pace.

Everyone always wants to start the new year with the heaviest weights, the fastest speed on the treadmill, or the most time spent on the elliptical, but that’s not what exercising for yourself is about. Find a training regimen that fits your personal body, goals, and schedule. FSU has several training sessions available to students for free, so take advantage of them! Plus, there are always classes going on that you can sign up for online and you can work out while having fun. I know a packed Leach can be daunting, but remember that it won’t stay packed for very long into the year and you can be one of the triumphant few that push through once the New Year, New Me drive has worn off. You got this!

2. Eat healthier, but don’t try some crazy diet.

Very seldom do any of the millions of diets out there actually work in a way that’s positive for your body. Don’t try juicing, because you will just tick off your body and it will hate you when you start eating real food again, and do NOT try to replace salads for as many meals as possible, because they have very little nutritional value. The goal is just to eat in a way that makes YOU feel good. Don’t cut out sugar completely, but just monitor yourself so you don’t eat an unhealthy amount. Don’t try to eat as little as you can each day, but simply replace meals with healthier options and try to avoid boredom eating. The goal isn’t to try to be healthy in one day, or lose five thousand pounds in one week. The goal is to be healthy in a way that is right for you. FSU also has nutritionists that you can visit who will help you create better eating habits that will make you feel your best.

3. Do things for other people, but don’t forget about yourself.

It is just a fact that it makes people feel amazing when they do something that positively impacts another person. It’s a win-win situation, so try it out! Whether it’s trying to help others as much as possible, if they ask or even if it’s just a random act of kindness, or getting out into the community and volunteering your time somewhere where it’s needed, helping the world around you can boost you up in a way you can’t quite explain. But while it’s incredible for everyone to focus yourself on others, don’t forget to help yourself as well. It’s okay to say no sometimes and give yourself a breather. Take some ‘you-time’ and do something nice for yourself every once in a while.

4. Push yourself, but not too hard.

Staying motivated and determined when making any kind of change in your lifestyle is a major key to success. Some days you’ll really want to just stay home, eat five pizzas and two jugs of ice cream, and skip your workout. While it’s more than okay to have a cheat day every once in a while, don’t lose the progress you already worked so hard for. Remember, you didn’t decide to make these changes for nothing. This is what you wanted, so work for it! Get yourself to the gym, even just for a little bit. Go into the kitchen and make yourself that incredible meal you had planned out. And of course, don’t forget about academics. Move your booty into Strozier or Dirac and hunker down on some school work. Push yourself to be the best you that you can be, but remember not to push yourself too hard. We all have limits. Don’t be afraid to admit that you need a breather.

So get moving, get motivated, and get pumped for 2016. This can be your year. Grab it by the horns and ride valiantly into the sunset because you deserve it. 2016 is the year of the best you that you have ever seen, and as Shia LeBeouf would say:

Courtesy: youtube

Junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media, aspiring social activism journalist, world traveler, and lover of flannel, Hungry Howie's, and cats.
Her Campus at Florida State University.