My name is Jenna and I have anxiety. It’s not something I like to brag about. Thanks to my anxiety, I worry about problems that haven’t even happened yet on a daily basis. It’s exhausting and just downright unhealthy, so I decided to take control. Over the years, I’ve tried countless methods to combat stress. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Exercise 

A healthy body is the first step towards having a healthy mind. When you exercise, chemicals called endorphins are released in your brain. Endorphins act as natural painkillers by helping you sleep better and in turn reducing stress levels. It feels really good, too. A lot of people hate exercising. Pop culture has even turned this disdain into a fad. Shirts with the logo “texting is my cardio,” can be seen everywhere. I’m here to counter this trend. Exercising is cool, guys. If you don’t like it, you probably haven’t found the right workout for you. My personal favorite workout is dancing. I like to YouTube aerobic dance routines and jump around my living room. Highly recommend it. In fact, I challenge anyone who sighs when they get ready for the gym to try something new. Take a yoga class. Go swimming. Even going for a long walk can be mind-altering. Find the best workout for you.

Courtesy: Harmonized Brain Centers

2. Meditation

If you feel a panic attack coming on, just breathe. Inhale, exhale. Count to five between each breath. Close your eyes, sit or lay down in a comfortable, quiet space and just focus on your breathing. If you struggle with relaxing, it helps to picture your thoughts flowing down a river, one by one. Picture your thoughts scaling down a waterfall, escaping your brain completely and letting go. I have found that setting aside just fifteen minutes per day for mediation is a huge help in combatting stress.

3. Music 

Listening to music can be extremely relaxing, as it links us to our emotions. Listening to slow, soft tones is especially beneficial. Listening to music can be a transcending experience. It distracts us from what is palpable and reminds us that concepts we can’t see or touch are just as important. Something I like to do is make playlists for my different moods. Naturally, I have a serenity playlist. If you are struggling with stress, I highly suggest making your own playlist. If you are not sure which songs to add, lookup relaxing songs. Taking the time to listen to the results and choosing your favorites will give you a goal-oriented task and will help you develop patience.

4. Water 

Water is amazing. The Earth’s surface is 71 percent water. On average, the human body is made up of 57-60 percent water. Aside from being vital to our survival, water has healing properties as well. Taking a bath is a common stress-reliever. Pool or beachside vacations never seem to get old. Even the color blue is seen as a calming color. If you are feeling stressed, find a body of water. Just being in the presence of water can have a soothing effect. If you don’t live near any bodies of water, take a bath. Even drinking a glass of water can lower your stress levels.

Her Campus at Florida State University.