10 Types of People You See at the Leach

*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU. 

If you’re a student at Florida State, you’ve definitely been to the gym at least once or twice, and if you’re like me, you go a couple of times a week. The Bobby E. Leach center is home to three floors of state of the art workout machines, a track, a basketball court, several racket ball courts and workout rooms, and even it’s very own pool. So it’s safe to say if you haven’t checked out our amazing gym you’re missing out. Whether you go to the gym once a month or once a day, you’re destined to see these 10 types of people there—guaranteed. 

1. The Frat Star

Courtesy: PopSugar

You’ll see this guy walking around with his gym partner who’s wearing the same cut off shirt with Greek letters that he is. He might or might not be wearing a baseball cap and it’s certain that his big muscles are bulging through his skimpy shirt that he wears it on purpose.

2. The Guy Who Skips Leg Day

Courtesy: Giphy

These guys can be found doing bench press with three plates on each side being spotted by their equally as huge gym partner. You ponder how the hell he can walk around being supported by legs that look a bit like SpongeBob’s legs, seeing as how just one of his arms has the same weight as your entire body. #Mysteries.

3. The Sorority Girls Who Just, Like, Cannot Go to the Gym Alone

Courtesy: Tumblr

“Like oh my god I just have to show you what Jake texted me last night.” You’re pretty likely to hear something like this every time you pass the swarm of sorority girls walking past you. They’re likely to be wearing Victoria’s Secret yoga pants, Nike sneakers and Beats that hang around their necks. They most definitely just walked out of a spinning class and there’s at least six of them in the pack. 

4. The Person on the Phone 

Courtesy: Instagravity

This person can be found right around the area of all the leg machines. She’ll be hogging the only hamstring curl machine, staring down at her phone as if it has all of the answers to life. She’s probably wearing headphones so when you go up to her and ask her how many sets she has left she’ll make you repeat it because she didn’t hear you the first time. Get off Instagram, girl! Scroll on your own time. 

5. The Old Men Who Sit in the Sauna 

Courtesy: Daily Mail

Now, I have nothing against these dudes. They just sit in the sauna, steam room or Jacuzzi and mind their own business. They’re most likely wearing big shorts, no shoes (and no shirt, for that matter), with a blank stare on their face. You do you, Gramps! 

6. The Girl Wearing a Full Face of Makeup

Courtesy: Barbells and Beakers

This type of person confuses me the most. I can’t even manage to properly put eyeliner on when I go out on the weekends, and this girl has the time and skill to do it just to go the gym. I just have one question for these girls: WHY?! You’re going to sweat it off anyway! No one cares how you look at the gym. Everyone is there to workout and then go home. So if you look like you just got your makeup done professionally for your prom and you’re at the gym—you’re doing it wrong. 

7. The (Not So) Heavy Lifters

Courtesy: College Humor

You’ll see them in the back of the gym where the Olympic lifting area is improperly squatting three plates on each side. You worry for their well being, seeing as how they have not the slightest clue what the proper form is and wish someone would help them. 

8. The Yellers

Courtesy: Mommy Bowler

These are the only people on this list that you will hear before you see. You’ll be on the back extension machine, minding your own business, when you hear “ARGHHGHHG!!!” You jolt around, worried that someone has just been shot, just to see some red-faced guy, gripping the sides of the leg press machine, yelling at the top of his lungs and looking like his eyes are about to pop out of his skull. 

9. The Ones Who Only Go to Check Out Other People

Courtesy: The Odyssey

This type of person can be found in many forms. They might be a frat guy, an old guy, and even in some cases, a girl. Nonetheless, this person just makes you feel uncomfortable, and leaves you wishing you would have worn baggy basketball shorts instead of tight leggings. 

10. The People Who Actually Go to Workout 

Courtesy: Tumblr

Shoutout to all the people who go to the gym to do what is actually meant to be done: workout! You da real MVP. 

Alex is native to Miami, Florida but currently resides in Tallahassee. She's a Senior at Florida State double majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Media Communications.
Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_