Why a Latex Allergy Doesn’t Have to Limit Your Sex Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

With between 1 and 6% of the general population suffering from latex allergies, you probably know at least one person who gets red and itchy every time they touch rubber gloves. Those gloves can easily be replaced with their nitrile or vinyl counterparts – problem solved!

Latex is found everywhere: gloves, Band-Aids, medical tape, pacifiers, and even erasers – all things that can be substituted or avoided with the right know-how. However, there is one latex product that many people find nearly impossible to avoid: condoms. There’s a reason why latex is the most common material for condoms – it’s cheap and durable. But its popularity is a major downer for those with latex allergies. With more than 90% of the population not suffering from a latex allergy, non-latex condoms can be difficult to come by.

We all know that condoms aid in the prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. Therefore, it is imperative that those of us with latex allergies are able to obtain durable, high-quality condoms that won’t irritate our special parts.

Have no fear, latex allergy sufferers! I’ve compiled a list of alternative condom materials that are currently available, as well as the brands that use them in the manufacture of condoms.

Polyurethane (Trojan Supra)

Pro: they are often thinner than latex condoms, which provides increased sensitivity

Pro: they allow for greater heat transfer, which can enhance pleasure

Con: they are less flexible than latex and therefore more likely to break if not adequately lubricated

Con: they are more expensive than latex condoms

Polyisoprene (Lifestyles Skyn and Durex Avanti)

Pro: they are flexible and strong like latex

Pro: they are relatively cheap (often more so than any other non-latex condom)

Con: they can be thick, which may decrease sensitivity

Nitrile (FC2 female condom)

Pro: they are less likely to break than male condoms

Con: they are less effective than male condoms at preventing pregnancy, with a failure rate of up to around 20%

Con: they are more expensive than most male condoms

Natural lamb skin (Trojan Naturalamb)

Pro: they have a very natural feel

Con: they do NOT prevent STIs, so they should only be used in mutually monogamous relationships where neither partner is a carrier for STIs

Con: they can be expensive (as much as $4 per condom)

Con: they can carry an unpleasant odor

But wait – there’s more!

Now that we’ve got the condom situation squared away, there’s something else that many people rely on in the bedroom: LUBE! Personal lubricants are used by millions of couples to provide a more pleasurable sexual experience. Lube increases comfort during sex by decreasing friction (which ultimately helps to keep your condom from breaking). There are even “warming” lubricants (for enhancing sensation) and flavored lubricants (for enhancing oral sex).

But before you slather it on, make sure you’re using the right kind of lube for the type of non-latex condom you’ve selected. Using the wrong kind of lube can degrade your condom and render it useless – and we DEFINITELY don’t want that!

I myself am a BIG fan of Astroglide lubes! They’re affordable, high quality, and can be found just about anywhere that sells sexual health products (like condoms). Before you commit to a full bottle, you can even go on their website and request a free sample in the mail! But the real selling point is that there’s an Astroglide variety for basically every type of condom out there.

For polyisoprene condoms, I recommend Astroglide Natural Liquid. As the name implies, this lube is made from natural ingredients such as aloe vera, chamomile, and pectin – and it’s free from parabens, glycerin, and fragrances (all of which are known to irritate sensitive skin). It goes on smoothly, has a pleasant scent, and lasts long enough to “get the job done.” It’s also beyond easy to clean up afterwards, so you won’t need to put out a towel!

For polyurethane condoms, I recommend Astroglide Gel. This lube is like liquid gold – it’s nice and thick, so it lasts through even the longest and roughest sessions. It also provides the extra moisture that polyurethane condoms require – win-win! And if you still need more convincing, it washes off cleanly and won’t stain your sheets!

Finally, for spicing up oral sex, I recommend Astroglide Strawberry Liquid. It has a sweet strawberry flavor that’s not overpowering, and a little bit goes a long way! Also, if you decide to use it during sex, it’s compatible with both polyurethane and polyisoprene condoms.

For nitrile and lambskin condoms, the sky is the limit with lube! Water-based, silicone-based, and oil-based lubes are all safe for nitrile and lambskin condoms.

For both non-latex condoms and their corresponding lubes, you should be able to find just about any of these listed brands in any grocery store, pharmacy, or any other store that sells sexual health products. Also, always make sure to supply your own condoms! With latex being the norm, it’s too easy for a guy to buy just any brand he finds on the shelf. Don’t get stuck in an awkward situation the next time the mood strikes!

Bottom line: even with a latex allergy, you can still have safe, pleasurable, and exhilarating sex!

Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.