This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

With the second half of the year rapidly approaching, there may be some of you, like me, who are realizing that they may have to take an extra semester to finally get your degree. Even though it may seem like a scary concept, believe me, I am right there with you, I made this pros and cons list to assure you that being a super senior may be more of a small miracle then we realize.

Pro: More time to work on your degree

Not every student has the luxury of being able to finish college in just 4 short years. Some degrees require more credits earned, not to mention if you wanted to attend graduate school after (that’s another 4+ years or so!) Though it may be incontinent, I see it as an extension to a deadline.

Con: More money for classes

Most students can say that tuition these days is rather high, most of us are required to work and/or rely on loans to get through school, which will also include having to take extra classes.

Pro: Easy way to control your schedule

Each semester is different when it comes to taking certain classes, each semester normally offers different classes that are required for different majors and minors. Taking more time in school offers the opportunity to take the classes you wanted to, but was not available to you last year.

Con: Not being able to graduate with your class

You have made many friends these past 4 years, some you may have even known since freshmen year. It will be sad to stay behind and watch your friends graduate, but you won’t be that far behind them.

Pro: You can better yourself as a student

This extra time with taking an extra semester will give you the opportunity to do better in the classes you may haven’t done so well in the following years. Being a returning student you know how the curriculum moves and you know the areas you need to better yourself in to get that degree.

Con: You may feel like you’re falling behind

No one plans to be a super senior, I know I sure didn’t, but like me and many others outside circumstances get in the way. Whether you failed one too many classes or you had to take personal time of your studies, no one wants to be in school longer then they must be.

Pro: Your age doesn’t matter

You may have noticed by know that age is not a major factor when it comes to your college lectures. Over my four years here I have met a variety of students of different years and ages. Even if you feel like a super senior over the younger years, so may the 35-year-old freshmen who’re putting themselves through school to get a better job.

Con: Catching up on the missed work

Though it may feel like a work overload, catching up on all the work you either failed or missed, it is all required to graduate. Though you now have that extra time, it may appear to be too much when you’re trying to catch up with your class.

I know it may seem scary, but believe me when I say you are not the only one that must take some extra time to graduate to the best of your potential. Together we can make the best of this extra time for our studies, make some new friends with the younger years, and just enjoy being a young student for just a little bit longer.

Hello! My name is Serena and I am (technically) a senior at Framingham State, and Secretary of our Her Campus branch here in Framingham. I am a history major so you will always find my head buried in some kind of textbook, but I love to help my friends whenever I can give my forth-year advice to all of the new students!