This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

There are always going to be obstacles in life. Whether that be at home, in school, with family/friends, etc. We cannot control everything that goes on in our lives, but we can control how we react to it and what we gain from it. There are going to be days going up and down, but remember that you are strong enough to achieve what you desire. The decision is yours, not anyone else’s.

These past couple of days have made me realize that. I’ve connected with my roommate because I opened up to her about personal things that were happening in my life. We never had a deep conversation before and this was a really nice opportunity because we were learning from each other and helping each other out. It’s scary to open up to anyone. You’re making yourself vulnerable to a person who may or may not help you. Regardless, it makes you look at situations in a different perspective and sometimes you need that. 

I’ve reached out to my advisor recently about changing my major. I had no idea what she would say or how she would have reacted. It was very scary because it is so late in the semester. She was very supportive and felt it was really refreshing to have a student who is passionate about doing anything to achieve her goals. She was very kind and got me in contact with a professor who is also very supportive of what I want to do in life. I want to fight hard for what I want. I took this chance because I knew if I didn’t do it now, I would have regretted it later. The major I was currently in wasn’t making me happy and it didn’t make me feel driven, but I knew in my heart that I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I do not want a 9-5 job that I hate. I truly want to enjoy and love what I do as a career. I want to be able to gain as much as possible from my education. I want to be able to apply what I learn to my career in the future. I want more than just a degree, I want actual real life experience and that’s why I reached out.

I love helping people. It’s one of the most refreshing feelings in the world that someone can trust and open up to me. My friends always come to me for advice which I really appreciate. I like that they have a lot of faith in me and I want to be able to help them as much as possible because I care for them so dearly. There are so many people in the world who struggle to ask for help, but if I can change just one person’s life, then I know I made an impact on the world. So, that is why I am changing my major to Sociology with an area of focus in Social Work.

I am the only person who can change my life for the better. Sometimes, I get lazy and don’t want to do my homework, sleep in, or I eat a big unhealthy meal right after a workout. I don’t recommend doing that, it’s not the best feeling because I know I can push myself harder. I am taking this time to really reflect on what I want in life and how I can achieve it. 

I have to focus on my college education and really push myself to get what I want out of it. It’s my choice if I want to reach out to my professors or not. They’re not going to always hold my hand and help me without me asking. I need to be the one who shows that I want to work hard and I need extra help. I need to focus on internships and volunteering opportunities that are beneficial to me. I need hands on experiences because it will make a huge impact in both my life and someone else’s. 

Lastly, focusing on myself is most important. There’s more to life than just sex, relationships, social media, etc. I am my own person. I make my own decisions and choices. I want to become a better person every day and I will be. Time, patience, and hard work are going to make me the most happy and successful I’ve ever been . Learn to love yourself because you only have one body, one soul, and one life. I don’t expect to have all A’s, have a six pack by April, and change the world. Everything starts with small steps and me, that’s the big change everyone needs to realize.

Jessica Gutierrez

Framingham '22

Hello! My name is Jessica Gutierrez and I am currently a freshman at Framingham State.