This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Do you know what a tampon is made of?

If you answered no to that question, you are certainly not alone. Every month when I get my period, I mindlessly reach for a tampon without even questioning what I’m putting inside of my body. It never used to cross my mind that a tampon may contain harmful chemicals or synthetic fibers that can be extremely damaging to my health down there. Last year, I started to develop recurrent yeast infections after every single period and wondered what could be the cause. So, I reached out to my gyno and she said it was probably from using a tampon, and that I should try not to use them anymore. If you’re like me – always on the go or working out – chances are you prefer to use a tampon rather than a pad, so not using tampons anymore was definitely not an option for me. Even when I did wear pads, usually overnight, I still ran into the same problem. That’s when I decided to do some research.

Just by typing “what are tampons made of” into Google, the results that popped up named some of the harsh chemicals found in tampons – rayon, wood pulp, and dioxin. What even are these? The fact that something so many women use every single month contains chemicals that a majority of us have probably never even heard of, in my opinion, is definitely not ok. These chemicals, after doing more research, are linked to increased risks of toxic shock syndrome (TSS), vaginal infections, and increased bacteria growth. Obviously, most tampons are FDA approved, so the risk is small, but it is still present. Then I came across LOLA.

LOLA, founded by two women who had the same exact questions as I did (what the heck is really in a tampon??), is the first lifelong, completely organic, gynecologist-approved tampon company made by women, for women. With full transparency regarding all of their products and services, LOLA is completely honest when informing girls what their reproductive care materials are actually made of. The more I looked into the company, the more I convinced myself that I just had to try it out. Made with 100% organic cotton and chemical-free plastic applicators, their products are completely safe from any harmful chemicals that other brands of tampons may contain – that was enough for me to make the switch. But it gets even better!

LOLA’s website will answer any question you’ve ever had about your period. Their products range from tampons and pads to organic condoms to period starter-kits for first-timers. And the best part? They deliver them to your door every 4 or 8 weeks – you pick depending on when you think you need them. With this subscription based service, you’ll never find yourself running to the store the day you start your period because you forgot you ran out of tampons last time. For $10 a month and free delivery, you customize your box of 18 tampons – a.k.a. you get to choose how many light, regular, and/or super tampons you usually need per month – and they are delivered right to your door just in time for your period.

When I decided to give LOLA a try, I customized my first box of tampons and decided to throw in a box of pads too, and after I placed my order I was never more excited to receive a box of tampons and pads. They came in super cute packaging and are clearly made by women who understand the struggle of a period. After using them during my last period, my expectations were beyond exceeded. Never again will you see me buying a box of tampons from the grocery store or pharmacy. LOLA has provided me, along with many women, a new experience for periods.

If you are ready to make the switch, check out their website: https://www.mylola.com! You get 15% off your first order, so stock up on some of their other super cool products while you’re at it! You can also find them on Instagram (@lola), where they post about their products and answer any and all questions you may have. Tell your friends about it – if I could convince everyone I know to switch to LOLA, I would – it would revolutionize the way women perceive their periods and reproductive health. This awesome company has already done wonders for me, and I’m sure it will do the same for you.

Hi! My name is Nicole Bregante, I am a Senior at Fordham University studying Mathematics & Psychology on the track of becoming a Math teacher. I am President of Expressions Dance Alliance, a student-run dance company on campus. Find me on Instagram, @nicolebregante!
Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.