This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Why do you Relay? What is the meaning behind Relay for Life? How can you create a bigger impact at this years Relay for Life at FIU? These questions may be pondering your mind as winter break is quickly approaching and the spring semester is just around the corner, which means our annual Relay for Life event is soon approaching. Relay for Life is the largest student-led organization at Florida International University. 

“Relay For Life is the signature fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Relay is staffed and coordinated by volunteers in thousands of communities and 27 countries. Volunteers give their time and effort because they believe it’s time to take action against cancer.”

Relay is a team fundraising event where team members take turns walking around a track. This event will take place on March 2nd at the Ryder Business Loop at FIU. (Opening Ceremonies at 5 pm and Closing Ceremonies at 2 am). Each event is 6-24 hours in length and each team is asked to have a member on the track at all times to signify that cancer never sleeps. Cancer patients don’t get to stop because they’re tired, and for one night, neither do we.

Each team sets up a themed campsite and we are proud to announce that this year’s theme is “Around the World.” Organizations both on and off campus show their fundraising efforts by collecting donations for food, goods, games, and activities. This money will count towards their overall team fundraising goal. Every year we continue to raise thousands and thousands of dollars hoping to surpass our goal from the years prior to one day help find a cure for cancer. Organizations all over campus are invited to create a team to participate at this year’s event and to help fundraise toward our overall goal. 

In one way or another cancer has impacted us all. It is a disease that takes control of your mental and physical health. On this special night, FIU will come together to represent hope, love, guidance, and support for those who go through daily treatments and to represent those who have passed away. 

We encourage all FIU students, faculty, staff, and alumni to participate in this year’s Relay for Life. Your contributions make more of an impact in someone’s life more than you can possibly imagine. If interested in forming a team or have any questions please email fiurelayteams@gmail.com. To register for this year’s Relay for Life follow the steps below: 

Step 1: Visit the following link: http://relay.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY19SER?fr_id=90636&p…

Step 2: Scroll to the middle of the page and click on “Join this Relay” 

Step 3: Create a username/password and proceed to follow the steps as indicated 

Step 4: Once your organization or yourself has been registered family, friends, and members may begin to register for the team as individuals. The registration fee is $15, which goes towards the fundraising total that as a team you will begin to raise. 

Hope is the last thing you lose in the battle against cancer. “The natural flights of the human mind are not from pleasure to pleasure, but from hope to hope.” 

Love and Inspiration, 

For you, 

Always, 

-Vero

Veronica Aguilera is a Junior at Florida International University double majoring in Biological Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in psychology. Ms. Aguilera is on the pre-med track and aspires to attend medical school after graduating from FIU. Although, Aguilera's passion has always been medicine and the healthcare field she has always had a unique interest in writing. She states that "words hold so much power enough power to even help change our world." Through Aguilera's articles, she hopes to bring positivity and love to collegiate students all around. Aguilera's various executive board positions and extracurricular activities have motivated her to share with others her life experiences. Aguilera hopes to cover a variety of article topics that pertain to the pre-medical life as a student and other devotions she has found along her journey. A message from the author: My collegiate readers, these articles are for you and only you. Filled with inspiring words and personal life experiences I hope to bring a new perspective on how you may view life. A perspective full of self-love, success, and positivity.