This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s no secret that being a serious athlete is a 24/7 job and it’s nonstop taxing so It should not be a surprise to learn that these Olympic athletes need the right sources of food to fuel their bodies with the nutrients they need to deliver the hard work they put in day in and day out. These athletes take on a pre-olympic schedule that is personalized to suit each one of their goals and make sure they are ready in time for the games. These schedules last about four years and are jam packed with meal preparations and endurance or strength training depending on their needs.

Keeping breakfast simple yet satisfying enough, USA Cross Country Skier Jessie Diggins always makes sure to start her day off with a generous serving of carbs making herself a bowl of oatmeal (about 1 cup) with mixed berries, greek yogurt, honey with nuts and seeds and a fried egg on the side. She has stated that she tries to include food that is easy to digest but also that would supply her with enough energy to get her through her trainings and that’s burning about 3,500 calories a day.

Image Source

During the day when she feels a bit squeamish, Jessie will have any type of snack that will refuel her for whatever is thrown at her next. Usually it will consist of any type of baked goods because when she’s not training she also likes to spend time baking. A popular pick of hers is a banana flaxseed muffin and it is usually paired with some type of fruit, But that’s not all because after that she will head on over and treat herself with some type of protein source such as salmon and accompany it with another generous portion of carbs such as pasta. Of course, there is always your veggies and Jessie does not forget to throw in a salad that is full of beets, goat cheese, walnuts and spinach.

Image Source

Before ending her day and after her last training sessions, Jessie fills herself up with may other snacks in between that include more baked goods such as cookies, shakes, and fruits till she gets back home and has a meal with her family which will most likely be a stir-fry with some chili and brown rice. 

Image Source