This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In today’s society, we photograph everything. Whether it is on Snapchat, Instagram, or on our mobile phone cameras. However, a form of documentation has started to make its way back to the media. That is – film.

Before I even continue, let me just start off by explaining that film photography was the original way we (and by we I mean our parents, grandparents, and so on) would take photos. Basically, you would take a roll of film, pop it into a camera, and take photos until the film roll would run out. Then, you would take it to get developed and waited to see what your camera shot. For decades that was pretty much how the world used a camera. Now, everything is done digitally, and now we have the luxury of taking a photo, seeing how it came out, and deleting it. However, what I wanted to point out is how I have noticed how major companies have started to use this style of photography as a marketing technique. Not only with products, but with public relations in a way as well.

Take Ariana Grande for example. Ever since she has released her fourth studio album,  Sweetener, she has consistently flooded her social media with shots of her on film. However, she utilized film even more before the release of her fifth studio album, thank u, next

She has even used this technique to promote her collaboration song Bed featuring Nicki Minaj on Instagram.

Moreover, Kim Kardashian’s new Skims shapewear line has pushed this trend even more with Kim creating short clips showcasing each model and their experience with the shapewear on Instagram, again using film photography. 

Lastly, even streetwear brands like Supreme (that were founded in the 90s) still use film photography today to market their designs on Instagram, making it feel as if their brand is timeless.

Overall, as someone who’s hobby is photography, I love seeing how film is being incorporated into branding. What makes film so special now is that it gives you a wave of nostalgia. Not only that, but film has been on the rise since fuji film started to make the trendy mini 8 polaroid cameras. Now, it has become a stylistic choice for marketing in the pop culture world. 

Maria is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. She loves to travel to Europe and her favorite thing to do is sing and play the guitar. She also loves photography and fashion and enjoys being with her family and her dog. She is originally from College Station, Texas, but her family is Venezuelan and Puerto Rican.