stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

A team of international scientists has put together a diet that can both improve the health of individuals and enable sustainable food production to lessen any damages to the planet. This diet is known as the “planetary health diet”, and it’s focused on cutting back meat and sugar, while eating more vegetables, fruits and nuts. This new found diet can save up to 11.6 million premature deaths all while helping the planet. According to reports, there are around three billion people who are malnourished. The food production industry in recent years has played a role in driving climate change, pollution and biodiversity loss.

By the year 2050 the world’s population is estimated to reach 10 billion. Scientists warn that if society keeps going down the same treacherous path, risks to the planet and individuals will be at an all time high. It has been reported that one billion people live in hunger and two billion people don’t eat the proper foods they should be eating.

The team of scientists have constructed five strategies that can further help people change their diets without harming the planet. These five strategies are;

• Creating Incentive to get individuals to eat healthier
  • Global production should be shifted toward varied crops
  • Intensifying agriculture sustainability
  • Stricter rules when it comes to the governing of oceans and lands
  • Reduce food waste

Are you wondering what this new diet consists of?

This new diet is considered an ideal daily meal plan for any individuals over the age of two. Scientists believe that this new diet can help reduce a variety of chronic diseases such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and strokes. It is also said to help with environmental degradation. Consumption of foods such as red meat and sugar must be cut down more than 50 percent but foods such as fruits, nuts, vegetables and legumes should increase significantly in the individuals diet. This diet also advises people to consume roughly around 2,500 calories per day. These calories should come from grains, starchy vegetables, fruit, dairy, protein and the right amount of fats and sugar.

Scientists are also pushing to make healthy food accessible for low-income families. They also enforce the use of informational campaigns, hopefully pushing individuals to eat healthier. Scientists have concluded that to ensure a healthy population and planet, strategies such as a major dietary change, improvement in food production and technology, and a reduction in food waste must happen in order to see results. 

Hello! My name is Sarah Rodriguez. I am currently a student at Florida International University. The major I'm studying is called PRAAC. I have a love for writing, especially writing about topics such as beauty, health, lifestyle, pop culture, and real world events. I intend to share my love of writing and these particular topics with you all.