This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

When you think about your goals and what you want to accomplish in life, do you consult your family, friends, or close acquaintances on whether or not it is a selfish decision? Sounds familiar right? Ultimately, you’re going to end up doing what you want to do and you’re going to pursue your dreams. If you think being selfish is a horrible thing to do keep reading this article to find out why being selfish is ok in life. 

As humans we tend to choose what makes us happy because we want to ensure that we are living up to our expectations, but most of the time we choose to put others opinions and goals before ours because they think they know what may be best for us. In reality only you as an individual truly know what is best for you, so stop letting others decide for you. 

We’re all a little selfish and sometimes we have to be. If you were unhappy in a relationship, I’d always encourage you to try to work it out. If you’ve tried everything and you’re putting your best foot forward but they’re not — leaving the relationship might be the right move. Some might say it’s selfish, but recognizing a toxic relationship and getting out because it’s personally weighing you down is a responsible decision.

The need to be selfish comes with making responsible decisions. The word “selfish” has a negative connotation behind it. Often time’s people associate being selfish as in always putting yourself first and living in your own bubble. I agree that we should care for others and keep in mind others work and motives when making our own decisions but only to a certain degree. Everything has its limits. Being selfish has a limit too, especially when it has to do with taking care of your mental health. 

Keep in mind that, “You have to be the best version of yourself in order to live up to your potential on this planet. In order to be the best version of yourself, you have to think about what’s best for you.”

What decisions are you making that improve your skills in an area? How do you ensure that you’re taking care of yourself? There are definite benefits in looking out for yourself. If you’re constantly exhausting yourself serving other people and living up to others decisions, you’ll become worn down and you might not be able to further serve people without having a meltdown. Don’t be afraid to start putting yourself first or a few years down the road you may realize your life is not where you want it to be.

Veronica Aguilera is a Junior at Florida International University double majoring in Biological Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in psychology. Ms. Aguilera is on the pre-med track and aspires to attend medical school after graduating from FIU. Although, Aguilera's passion has always been medicine and the healthcare field she has always had a unique interest in writing. She states that "words hold so much power enough power to even help change our world." Through Aguilera's articles, she hopes to bring positivity and love to collegiate students all around. Aguilera's various executive board positions and extracurricular activities have motivated her to share with others her life experiences. Aguilera hopes to cover a variety of article topics that pertain to the pre-medical life as a student and other devotions she has found along her journey. A message from the author: My collegiate readers, these articles are for you and only you. Filled with inspiring words and personal life experiences I hope to bring a new perspective on how you may view life. A perspective full of self-love, success, and positivity.