This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Did you ever think that chocolate was solely for your cheat days? Well, think again. Chocolate is not only fine to eat throughout your diet, it also provides many nutritional benefits. As it is made from the seed of the cocoa tree, studies show it can improve your health and lower risk of heart disease.

Here are 5 health benefits of chocolate:

1. It makes you eat less: According to previous studies, the consumption of chocolate is actually an appetite suppressant. A group of participants were given dark/milk chocolate two hours before an all-you-can-eat buffet and the results were shocking. The intake of dark chocolate correlated to a 17% less ingestion of calories at the meal.
  2. It’s good for your heart: The polyphenols in cacao increase the HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) levels in your body, which in turn reduces LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol).
  3. Glowy skin and sun protection: Consuming chocolate modulates healthy blood flow in the body. In a study where women took high flavanol cocoa powder for 12 weeks, it was shown that subjects had on average 25% less of a sunburn after exposure, than those who took low flavanol cocoa powder.
  4. Anti-aging powers: Cacao actually enhances mitochondrial biogenesis — the creation of new mitochondria. The Flavanol epicatechin in chocolate is responsible for this phenomenon. A study with mice was conducted by feeding epicatechin, which changed a senile mices’ biomarkers to those of a young mice.
  5. A better mood: In high-stress or pressure situation, chocolate can help alleviate your symptoms. A group of participants performed three tasks and the group who consumed cocoa flavanol drinks prior had better cognitive performance and reported less mental fatigue.
Valerie Castaneda is currently a Sophomore at Florida International University pursuing a degree in Marketing. She was born and raised in Miami, FL. and places her city on a high pedestal, She believes in the great importance of the written word and loves to write about things that inspire her. She loves traveling, studying, and listening to music while at the same time being updated on Pop Culture around her. Her dream is to eventually work at a record label in Artist Relations and manage artists. For the moment, Valerie works in Promotional Marketing and enjoys working with different brands and companies. Most recently, she worked Swim Week 2018 where she was exposed to the fashion industry and learned a great deal about the world-renowned week.