This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Throughout history, feminine energy has often been perceived as weak, subordinate, and overly-emotional. As a result, overtime there has been an overlooked suppression and shame surrounding feminine qualities. Recently, many spiritual gurus have begun rewriting this narrative, now teaching the importance of something called “the divine feminine“, and how we can harness this powerful and essential feminine energy within all of us.

Whether you are spiritual or not, you can probably agree that balance is important. Duality is an essential part of every aspect in life; from natural ecosystems, to the ocean, to space, we can see examples of how we rely on a balance of polar opposites to sustain life. Just like we need the sun and the moon, it is important to have a balance of the masculine and the feminine energies in life.

The modern world is dominated by masculine energy; it is logical, expansive, action-oriented, and forward. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but something that has caused a neglect to the value and cultivation of feminine energy. Spiritual gurus define feminine energy as creative, intuitive, authentic, compassionate, and nurturing. Stepping into the divine feminine means being able to harness these traits and grow into your most balanced and empowered self. From a spiritual perspective, every person, regardless of gender identity, has access to their divine feminine energy, and here’s three ways how.

Let emotions come up and feel them

I know, scary right? Too often as humans we have the conception that being strong is holding back tears and swallowing hard emotions. No one wants to be perceived as sensitive or be completely vulnerable to the pain we are feeling in certain moments. However, in reality, I think actually feeling pain by allowing it to come up is the strongest thing we can do.

Throughout my own life, it was always hard for me to cry, even when I was feeling the most sad. It was not until I started making an effort to connect to my divine feminine that I was finally able to let myself cry when I wanted to. It has been such a relief to be able to express my emotions the moment I feel them, and then release them and move forward. Scientific evidence also proves that crying is healthy for you. Men especially can benefit from tapping into their divine feminine, since studies show men are much less likely to be able to cry.

focus on being, instead of doing

With all of the hustle of our daily lives, we can get caught up in the constant recurring thought of what’s next. It is like no matter what we do, our brains are always pestering us to start planning the future ahead. If you relate to this too, it could be a sign that you need to take time to nurture your divine feminine.

Masculine energy is about action for the future, while the divine feminine is about the now. Tapping into your divine feminine is about focusing on being, instead of doing. Some ways that you can practice this include taking quiet time alone to reflect, admiring something you love, journaling, and meditating. Be open to receive support from others in times when you need a break. Remind yourself that practicin living in the moment and being are just as essential as working toward the next thing.

Reconnect with and reclaim your body

Societal beauty standards for every gender can often lower our self esteem and make us feel unworthy. A problem for many women especially is that it can feel like we have to rely on male validation to define our value. For all of my women: instead of trying to become the patriarchal version of an ideal woman, embrace your natural body for everything it is and does for you. I know, so much easier said than done, but it is key to allowing your divine feminine to step forward.

The more that you shame your body, the more you are feeding into the judgements of outside energies and the more you are diminishing the goddess within you. Divine feminine energy is authentic, expressive, and powerful. A little more appreciation, positive self-talk, and self-care will go a long way in returning you to your rightful power.

Sofia is a senior studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications at FIU. Sofia loves all things writing and art. She was born and raised in New Jersey but currently resides in Miami. Sofia has a passion for seeing new places, trying new things, and delving into the world of different media.