The 4 Essential Tips to Curb Holiday Weight Gain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Thanksgiving is upon us! And with it, pecan pie, mashed potatoes and the essential turkey. But how do you avoid the five pounds that tag along with the holiday season? The average thanksgiving meal is between 3,000 and 5,000 calories. And in the U.S. the majority of the population will sit down for more than one thanksgiving dinner (be it a work party or a friend-giving) -that’s and average of 6,000 to 10,000 calories. Read below to find out what you can do to limit your calorie intake while still enjoying the holidays to the max!

Tip 1: Exercise

Take a walk the morning of Thanksgiving. It’s a beautiful time of the year! Why not enjoy it too? A walk represents 10% of your calorie intake. Compare that to ingesting 3000-5000 calories in one sitting. Take a friend you don’t see often or that cousin you would like to be closer to- make it a group outing. Take a moment to appreciate the Christmas décor; sometimes we don’t take time to appreciate the beautiful things in life. Don’t forget to keep up your exercise regime! Traveling and catching up with friends and family is important but remember- your body is a temple!

Tip 2: Drink Up

Not all foods were created equal! That’s why you should drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. Remember that sodas, coffee and alcoholic drinks are empty calories and are absolutely no good for your gorgeous bod. Water is calorie-free and helps flush out all the toxins from your body.

Tip 3: Trick your Eyes

Grab a smaller plate to trick your eyes into believing your plate is fuller. Don’t guzzle everything down! Chew s-l-o-w-l-y. Digestion starts here and taking longer to chew gives your stomach time to send the signal to your brain it is full as soon as it happens so you don’t eat food unnecessarily and thus, gain weight.

Tip 4: It’s All in the Meat

Avoid turkey skin at all costs! It has many more calories than breast and is very high in fat- even if it tempts you. Instead, go for light white meat. Every ounce of turkey breast has 44 calories and 1 gram of fat. It is a source of zinc, iron, potassium and B vitamins. Eliminate a drumstick- and don’t go near a deep fryer!

Laura Hernandez is the founder of Her Campus FIU.  She is currently a junior and is majoring in Political Science, Women's Studies and International Relations. She is also passionate about writing and communications. Laura thinks that Her Campus FIU is the perfect way to connect with collegiettes at FIU's commuter campus.