sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

15 Positive Quotes to Ease Your Worries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Are you having a bad week? Is life getting you down? If so, this article is for you. I have compiled some of my favorite positive quotes for you to read and hopefully brighten your mood. Not every person is the same, but I really enjoy reading quotes when I’m in a funk. Reading a complete stranger’s opinion on a similar struggle I’m facing seems to reassure me because I realize two things: 1. I am not the only one suffering with this problem and 2. It is possible to overcome 

1. “The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions, and not our circumstances.” -Martha Washington

In other words, always keep a smile on that beautiful face no matter how bad things get. Positivity is the key to a happy life.

2. “If we are not responsible for the thoughts that pass our doors, we are at least responsible for those we admit and entertain.” -Charles B. Newcomb

Your subconscious is a finicky little thing. While you’re trying to maintain an air of optimism and positivity, your subconscious might be in the corner muttering about how it’s a pointless endeavor. While you don’t really have any control over what your subconscious fabricates, you can choose if you want to listen to those fabrications. If your subconscious wants to be negative, tell it to take a hike.

3. “In the long run, the pessimist may be proved to be right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip.” -Daniel L. Reardon

Let’s say you have an audition for a big movie role but you don’t have a whole lot of experience so you’re pretty sure you won’t get it. Does that mean you should sit through the whole audition process sulking in a corner until it’s time to read for the part? Absolutely NOT. There are other people in that room who are just as nervous as you. And they love to act, just like you. Strike up a conversation, be friendly and sociable. When you go in to see the casting director, smile and make a good impression. And if you don’t get the part? At least you’ve made friends and had a fun process. Maybe the casting director will think of you the next time they stumble across a role you’d be perfect for.

4. “Opportunities multiply as they are seized; they die when neglected. Life is a long line of opportunities.” -John Wicker

If you want something, go get it. Who knows how many doors that one attempt will open for you.

5. “The important thing is not that we can live on hope alone, but that life is not worth living without it.” -Harvey Milk

Enough said.

6. “Do not look back on happiness, or dream of it in the future. You are only sure of today; do not let yourself be cheated out of it.” -Henry Ward Beecher

Don’t ruin your good mood by worrying about what’s going to happen tomorrow. Just live in the moment!

7. “What is there to be afraid of? The worst thing that can happen is you fail. So what? I failed at a lot of things. My first record was horrible.” -John Mellencamp

Take it from the guy about to be inducted into the 2018 Songwriters Hall of Fame.

8. “Faith and doubt both are needed, not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.” -Lillian Smith

It’s ok to have your doubts, as long as your faith in a positive outcome is stronger.

9. “Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.” -Anon.

Always make sure you can learn at least one thing from a failure.

10. “Anything I’ve ever done that ultimately was worthwhile…initially scared me to death.” -Bette Davis

Never let fear stand in the way of your greatness!

11. “When one door closes another opens. But we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us.” -Alexander Graham Bell

If you mess up, don’t think about it too much. Learn what not to do for next time and run off to find that newly opened door.

12. “Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.” -Sydney J. Harris

Always, always, always shoot your shot. Whether it’s talking to that person you’re crushing on or an audition that half the world is participating in. You shouldn’t leave this earth with any “what ifs?”

13. “Starting out to make money is the greatest mistake in life. Do what you feel you have a flair for doing, and if you are good enough at it, the money will come.” -Greer Garson

Don’t choose a career just because your parents said that’s where the money is. Do what you love. Go for the job that you know will make you happy.

14. “If Heaven made him, earth can find some use for him.” -Chinese Proverb

You were put on this earth for a reason. Everyone has a purpose, don’t panic if you haven’t discovered yours yet.

15. “All I would tell people is to hold on to what was individual about themselves, not to allow their ambition for success to cause them to try to imitate the success of others. You’ve got to find in on your own terms.” -Harrison Ford

Always be yourself. I guarantee you someone somewhere is looking for that quality that only you have to offer.

Cover Photo

Soy Dominicana. I love movies, quotes, and everything to do with Marvel and DC. Instagram: arlenys_b Twitter: @Arlen_Burgos