thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness

It’s Not Too Late to Make 2020 Your Best Year Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

2020 has certainly been a crazy year, to say the least. The pandemic gave us a lot of alone time, which has changed every one to some degree. Some people say it has changed them for the better, and others say it has only made things worse. 

However, the year isn’t over yet, so you can still make changes to better yourself each day. The following tips will change your mindset and lifestyle, to make this year more worthwhile. 

1. Surround Yourself With The Right People

When you surround yourself with people who are uplifting and don’t put you down, you’re more likely to feel better about yourself. Drifting away from people who aren’t treating you the best is so important to living a happier life. 

2. Read Self-Help Books

I think this step is extremely helpful because it reminds you that you’re never alone when you might feel like it. My favorites are You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero and The Self-Love Experiment by Shannon Kaiser. These books will inspire you to be more appreciative of yourself.

3. Practice Daily Affirmations

Daily affirmations are positive, specific statements said in their completed states. They encourage us to be the best version of ourselves. You can either say them out loud or simply write them in a journal. You’ll notice over time the things you are telling yourself are true. 

4. Eat Healthy, Drink Water, and Exercise 

Living a physically healthy lifestyle will help you feel better mentally. If you’re putting bad food into your body, you’re going to feel bad in return. Also, exercise will not only help physically but mentally. You’re more likely to be happy when you move your body every day. 

5. Find A New Hobby 

Try new things by yourself. I think it’s especially important to learn a new hobby alone, so you don’t have to rely on someone else to do it with you to be happy. When you find something you’re passionate about and know you’re good at it, it will give you something to look forward to and to be proud of yourself for.

I personally feel like 2020 has made me become a better person. I am extremely grateful for everyone I am surrounded with and have learned to appreciate alone time. I am much more positive and comfortable in my own body now than when the year had started. I hope these tips help whoever needs a little extra push to get through this challenging year.

Leanne Barbarito is a student at The Fashion Institute of Technology. She received her Associates Degree in Advertising and Marketing Communications and will continue working towards her Bachelors Degree in International Trade and Marketing in The Fashion Industries with a minor in Ethics and Sustainability.