This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

I have been putting off making an appointment with my gynecologist for a while. Between the hassle of calling and trying to figure out a time that I can head back upstate for an appointment, it’s a task that I’ve been dreading, despite my debilitating periods. 

My time of the month comes with headaches, nausea, and sometimes, the inability to even get out of bed. I go through Super Plus tampons like it’s my job. Needless to say, I needed to see someone.

I had seen countless ads for Tia but it was actually my mother who encouraged me to take the plunge. Working in the women’s health field herself, as a social worker, I trusted her advice to try out the pink doctor’s office that was overwhelming my algorithm.

The process of signing up was extremely user friendly. All you have to go is go on their website and pay a small fee to sign up. They offer both monthly and yearly subscriptions, giving users the option to pay $20 a month, or $150 a year. There are also plenty of coupon codes on the internet to help you save a few extra bucks. Once you pay the membership fee, Tia’s services are covered by a large variety of insurances meaning that you won’t have to pay out of pocket for your care.

After creating an account, I signed up for my first service: a tele-health appointment focused on my period pain. They also offer mental health services, acupuncture, STD tests, as well as general primary care. Essentially, they seemingly have everything that you could ever need.

An immediate plus was that I was able to book an appointment for the very next day. Unlike at my typical doctor, where I have to schedule at least 3 months out, Tia had tons of appointment times to chose from.

So I scheduled my first appointment. A virtual consultation to discuss everything I was aiming to get out of my Tia care. Joining the appointment was easy. All I had to do was log into my account and there was a big box with a link to join.

It can feel awkward to tell a stranger, medical professional or not, everything that you want to address. But my provider made me feel comfortable the entire time, encouraging me that the more I shared, the more they could help me. She listened intently while I told her everything, taking thorough notes and asking follow-up questions to ensure that her information was as accurate as possible.

She instructed me to make an in-person appointment at their clinic for an ultrasound, which I have since scheduled. And then, right before the end, she said something that brought tears to my eyes. “Even if nothing is physically wrong, that doesn’t negate your pain. We will make sure that we do everything we can to help you manage it.”

For years I felt as if I had been invalidated by medical professionals. For starters, no one had ever suggested that I get an ultrasound. After describing my physical symptoms, I was told that it was normal. And sure, periods come with pain, but why should I have to skip class because I can’t move due to my intense cramps? Secondly, hearing that even if nothing is physically wrong, the Tia team would still work with me to manage my pain was a concept that I never even dreamed of hearing. So often, women are invalidated by doctors. They don’t truly listen and take that next step with their patients beyond a physical diagnosis. Pain is pain, with a direct cause or not, and not finding a direct reason does not make it go away.

My experience with Tia so far has been incredible. For the first time in years, I feel hopeful that I will be able to get the care that I need to manage my pain. With offices in 4 cities, as well as access to virtual care from anywhere in the United States, Tia is an easy solution for all of your medical needs.

For more information on Tia, visit their website.

Jools is a senior at FIT majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with a minor in writing. She is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FIT.