How to Become a Morning Person After Sleeping In All Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

When thinking of summer, it’s a simple connection to vacationing, hanging out with friends, and staying up late. But when summer ends, how do we transition to waking up early for classes and work? It’s not only important for our bodies to adjust to the switch, but also learn how to become a morning person and ease the transition from sleepless nights to early mornings.

1. Go to bed at a reasonable time

Establishing a resonable bedtime is so important because this will allow you to feel refreshed when waking up. Once you start going to bed earlier, try and make it a habit to go to sleep around the same time each night. Eventually, your body will be in sync with this and waking up earlier will be much easier.

2. Make time for breakfast

As breakfast is the most important meal of the day, eating will help fuel your energy for the long workday. Start the day by making your favorite breakfast, whether it be your signature breakfast sandwich or a delicious acai bowl, your mood will definitely improve if you’re eating a yummt breakfast! 

3. Listen to your favorite playlist or podcast

Personally, when I wake up I can’t talk to anyone until I’ve had some coffee, but that doesn’t mean I can’t listen! Put your speaker on and listen to happy songs to get you motivated for the day or listen to your favorite podcasts to get your mind thinking! This is always a mood and energy booster.

4. Do something you enjoy for a half hour

Whether it be journaling, doodling, or watching an episode of your favorite Netflix series, this allows you to have some much needed “me time” right before you start a busy day. What better way to start the day than doing something you love? After that half hour, you will be ready for go-time!

5. Coffee, Coffee, & Coffee

Obviously, coffee is the ultimate answer to any problem! How can anyone function without it? When you wake up, make your favorite kind of coffee or stop at Starbucks on your way to class. Having your favorite kind of coffee will make you more than ready to tackle the day!

Alexis Kalil is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Fashion Business Management and English. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, photography, watching Netflix, and traveling.
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.