Why Running In Falmouth Is Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

As I’m sure you’ve all noticed, it’s getting warmer. It’s even temporarily hit 13 degrees! Spring is here people. If you haven’t noted any of these weather changes because you are yet to actually go outside in 2015, first of all stop watching Netflix, and secondly take look at your calendar. It is April.

With spring surging ever forwards, we are becoming more and more immersed in the media bombardment of pressurised fitness. For a while now we have found ourselves in that strange annual limbo – in between the “New Year, new me” and the “slim down for summer” exercise agendas. But now as the daffodils bloom so do the magazine covers, featuring impossibly “perfect” people and how they got fit in just 10 easy steps (Please, like these steps are actually easy).

Now, I’m not going to lie to you, being fit at university is by no means easy. Gym memberships are expensive, and even then fitting exercise into the day is a struggle. So my pitch for you is this: Why not give running a go? Beautiful, blue skies are on your horizon so what better time of year to get out there and see it? The views in and around Falmouth are stunning. There are so many beautiful coastal paths and routes, which take you to tiny, unique, super-alternative-indie-cool-make-your-friends-at-home-jealous-type-places. The Instagram opportunities are limitless. If you’re gonna get fit you may as well have something to look at. There is also an abundance of places to stop and have a rest  – benches are plentiful along the coast paths – take a break to admire that bloody handsome scenery and fellow fitties. Imagine if you wanted to take up running and you lived in the middle of a city? Exactly! Make you most of what you’ve got and get out there!

Falmouth is also wonderfully atmospheric. One of the best things ever said to me whilst on a run was by a middle-aged Cornish man who grinned widely and told me to “keep going my ‘andsome” Running can be surprisingly sociable. And for you dog lovers, every person on a walk seems to be accompanied by an even more adorable puppy than the last one. Plus, stopping for a tactical pet is the perfect excuse for a break. 

Anyway, running is obviously a wonderful way to get fit but it’s also an excellent way of training your body both muscularly and cardio wise as well as burning off any extra Easter calories. But I’ve always found that running is not simply a physical thing. Running is kind of like free therapy. There’s something very personal about running because you choose wherever you want to go and then it’s just you and your body out there. I run for two reasons: one, I love food, and two, my brain needs a bit of a push sometimes. Quite a few of my big scary adult life decisions have been made whilst on a run. I’ve written stories, planned weekend and sorted aspects of my life out all whilst on a run. Running is a mental pick-me-up.

Enjoying a run is so much more than being “good” at it, whatever “good” exactly means. When starting out, take it slow. Don’t stress over distances or timings, just go out and enjoy it. Walk for bits, jog, sprint, leap, whatever feels right, although you may get odd looks for leaping, but whatever. Haters gonna hate. Put some good tunes on as well if that helps get you pumped! Just don’t do what I do and get so immersed in your own world that you end up nearly tripping into a lamppost.