Wellness

Spring Clean Your Relationship With Yourself!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I think it’s important to spring clean- not just your dorm room, but your relationship with yourself! Having a relationship with yourself can be tough, since many of us can be our own toughest critics. The way we perceive ourselves is also different from how others perceive us as well. If you’re struggling with your personal relationship this spring, then I’m here to help!

If you are struggling with your relationship with yourself, it might be worth considering taking stock of your feelings. What is it that you are unhappy with? Being cognizant of certain behaviors is a really good way to correct them. If you struggle with your self-image, I really feel for you. I have struggled with my self-image for years, especially with having acne for the majority of my teenage years. I sometimes discuss my insecurities with my friends, and I found out that the things I was most insecure about, were some of the aspects my friends liked the most, and vice versa! I think vocalizing these issues help.   

Taking some time for self reflection is something I’ve been into recently. Just reflecting upon my day is very helpful for me. I like to do this at the end of the day, and I find it helps me sleep better. It helps stop the greatest hits of every embarrassing thing I’ve ever done playing on loop as I try to fall asleep, which I suffer from often. Just searching ‘mindfulness’ in the app store on your phone will result in a plethora of apps. Apps like Headspace, Hallow, and Apple’s own Mindfulness are my personal go-tos. I think it’s a great tool to use to help work on your relationship with yourself. 

Your relationship with yourself is very important, and is always something that can be improved! You got this!

XO Erin

Erin Delaney

Fairfield '24

Erin Delaney is a senior at Fairfield University, where she majors in English and History, with minors in Irish and Catholic Studies. She has a show on Fairfield University's radio station, WVOF, where she plays her favorite classic alternative and rock songs from the 60s-90s. She loves to read, drink iced coffee, write, and watch unhealthy amounts of Netflix. She is happy to be back writing for HerCampus.