The Real Health Benefits of Doing Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Time is flying by, and it is crazy how it is already mid-semester. Midterms, papers, tests and homework are all piling up. Stress is starting to creep in and all of us collegiettes are getting antsy for the warmer weather, dage season, and summer. During this tricky time, you should roll out that yoga mat to help de-stress and get in touch with your Zen-side. Yoga helps promote relaxation along with many other health benefits. Here are 7 real health benefits of doing yoga if you get into that mind-body spirit:

1.     Stronger Bones

The practice of yoga helps improve bone density. Stronger bones means looking good while simultaneously allowing you to be protected against arthritis, back pain, and broken bones. Strong girls are sexy girls!

2.     Improved Brain Function

As college students, we need all the brain function we can get. Yoga’s poses and meditation promote focus, cognitive function, coordination, and memory. Practicing the art of meditation through yoga allows you to problem solve and recall information faster. So, that math test next week…?

3.     Anxiety Relief

Yoga can increase gamma-aminobutyric levels in the brain and reduces anxiety. Low levels of gamma-aminobutyric are linked to depression and anxiety disorders. Yoga encourages happiness with one’s inner self. 

4.     Lower Risk of Heart Disease

Pump up that heart rate! Working out your heart is one of the best ways to protect yourself against heart diseases such as high cholesterol and blood pressure. Yoga increases your endurance and the intake of oxygen makes your heart stronger.

5.     Increases Blood Flow

All that stretching, downward facing dogs, and cobras help the circulation of blood throughout your body allowing more oxygen to travel to your cells helping you and your organs function more efficiently. No blood clots here, just child poses.

6.     Sleep Better

Sleep is probably one of the best things and one of the things we get the least of in college. The ability of yoga to de-stress one’s mind and body allows for the body to sleep better and more deeply. It slows the mind down, relaxes the muscles of the body and deepens the breathing letting us have those glorious eight hours of sleep we attempt to get every night.

7.     Increases Self-esteem

The physical aspects of yoga are greatly tied to the many health benefits it provides. However, yogic teachings are just as important. You cannot have one without the other. The ancient yoga teachings promote lessons of empathy, forgiveness, humility, grace, and integrity. These lessons are transmitted within oneself while getting in touch with one’s own spirituality through yoga. Love yourself because there is only one of you!

Now go on and get out there! You’ll be a healthy and happy yogi in no time! 

Adriana is currently a second semester senior at Fairfield University. She is majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in creative writing as well as a double minor in marketing and women, gender and sexuality studies.              
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.