4 Things to Do When You’re Feeling Homesick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Going to college away from home is an experience unlike any other. Whether you can’t wait to live on your own or are a little nervous about the whole experience, everyone feels homesick at some point.  Just because homesickness ranges from person to person, and can be more severe for some over others, doesn’t mean those who don’t show it aren’t feeling it too. With that said, freshmen aren’t the only ones who feel homesick though some may believe that. It may seem like upper classmen have no reason to be homesick, but don’t be fooled, everybody misses his or her family (or pets).  Here are a few remedies and things to remember when you are homesick:

1. First of all take a deep breath! Everything will be ok and this feeling will pass. When we are homesick, it tends to be because we are stressed and don’t have that sibling or parent to fix our problems or vent to. For freshmen, homesickness can seem like the end of the world because you are in a new atmosphere and don’t have that set group of friends so early in the semester; you may feel like you have no one to turn to. If you don’t have that set group of friends just yet, the best way to meet new people in by joining clubs. Yes, FaceTiming your parent or sibling every so often is great, getting out of your room, keeping busy, and meeting new people is a much better and healthier option to get rid of your homesickness.

2. Have a home-cooked dinner on Sunday night!  Get a group of friends together and take a ride to the nearest Stop and Shop. Buy everything you’ll need to make the dinner of your choosing and all pitch in. All on-campus housing come equipped with kitchens so you can very easily get the cooking utensils needed in order to make a good meal. This idea brings together both socializing and the aspect of a home cooked meal!

3. One of the best things about being a sophomore, junior, or senior is being able to choose your roommates. No matter if you are a freshman or a senior, everyone feels homesick sometimes. The only difference, living with people who you consider your closest friends helps form a unity in the room that reminds you of a family.

4. Plan a day of the week when you can call or FaceTime your family and update them on everything that happened that week. There is nothing wrong with speaking toy our family everyday for a little bit, but if you are constantly locked in your room saying how bored and upset you are that will make them sad as well. By joining clubs and updating them on all the great things you did that week you will be both benefiting yourself and making your parents happy.

Feeling homesick is something that can happen to anybody and happens to everybody. Whether you have a mild case or a severe case just know it is normal! Feeling homesick is a part of growing up. Independence is a difficult concept to grasp and though we may think we are ready for it, sometimes when it lands in our laps we have no idea what to do with it. Just remember it’s only the second week of school and the more you stay busy and get involved, the less homesick you will feel. 

Jackie has been an active member of Her Campus Fairfield over the past two years and is the new Co-Campus Correspondent for Fairfield's chapter. She is a junior communications major with a minor in marketing. She loves baking, sports, sushi, and her Jack Russell Terrier Tipper.
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant