This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Welcome to college to all the first-year students and welcome back to campus for all returning students! A lot of events and changes are happening in the 2018-2019 school year and we cannot wait to see what this academic year has in store for us. In this article, we will be sharing with you a few tips on how you can maintain a healthy lifestyle in college. Whether you have adopted a new goal of staying healthy or is planning to avoid the freshmen 15, keep reading for a few handy tips to stay in shape this school year.

1. Create a Workout Schedule: F&M has two different gymnasiums: Mayser and the ASFC. Working out can become a lazy chore if you are not used to daily exercise. One way to avoid putting this off is by creating a workout schedule. Sectioning off your leg days from your arm days will help prevent quick burnout and keep you on schedule. 
  2. Portion Your Meals: If you are still on the school meal plan, you know that the dining options on campus are not always the healthiest. One way to manage what you eat is by practicing portioning your food intake. When eating with other people, it can be easy to lose sight of how much and how fast you are eating. Avoid overeating by portioning your meals. This also means that you should try to incorporate as many items from the food group as possible. Maintain a healthy lifestyle in college by managing your meals.
  3. Take Breaks: It can be easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of college. That is why it is important to take breaks in between all your crazy. Not only is this important for your mental health, but it is also helpful for maintaining and increasing your productivity.

These are three tips on how you can maintain a healthy lifestyle in college. We hope that you have a great start to the school year! What are some of your favorite tips for staying healthy?

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.