Wellness > Health

Six tips to help you stay motivated in the gym!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As January comes to an end, so does most of our motivation in relation to the gym…You tried being healthier for a bit with that new gym membership, but as with many things the novelty fades and you find yourself dreading the thought of putting on those Gym Shark Christmas presents that you once so desperately wanted. We’ve all been there. However, do not despair, as these tips will hopefully help you to find that motivation again and actually look forward to working out! (Fingers crossed)

1. Go with a friend

This makes a massive difference! If I know that I have planned to work out with a friend I am way less likely to bail as I don’t want to let them down. Also, you have someone else there to motivate you when you feel like giving up, even if it’s just a quick chat between sets or having someone to share your pain.

2. Make sure you are going to a gym that you like

This sounds silly, but if you are going to a gym where the facilities aren’t great and it feels a bit dingy then you’re not going to want to go. Pretty much all gyms offer free tours and have loads of information online, so do your research and decide what you enjoy. If you love to swim then make sure you have access to a pool or if you love classes then check whether the gym offers regular sessions that you can go to.

3. Try a class

I love going to classes as it is often a great way to try new workout methods, and you have a set time you need to be there so you are less likely to faff about and put it off. From yoga to spin classes, most gyms offer a wide variety of classes from varying fitness levels so there is no excuse to not give it a try!

4. Wear or buy some nice workout gear

I find that when I am wearing clothes that I feel great in I enjoy going to the gym a lot more because I feel confident. Whether you haven’t cracked out your Christmas presents yet or want to have a browse at the ongoing sales, this works as a quick motivational boost. It’s a small thing to do but makes a surprising difference.

5. Make a schedule

If you know that there a few set slots in the week that you are definitely free then you can set this aside for going to the gym. This will help to develop a routine, and if you know you are meant to go at a specific time you are less likely to make excuses. I find that this really works as I can plan ahead so I know exactly when I’m going to work out and what I’m doing.

6. Reward yourself

It is so easy to start working out and cut out anything and everything that you feel is unhealthy from your diet. This, as I’m sure we all know, is far from sustainable. Allow yourself a little treat, whether this is something yummy at the end of the week or taking a few hours away from your work to chill out. This reward from working hard will hopefully motivate you to keep on going to the gym as you know there is something to look forward to afterwards.

Hopefully some of these tips will help to boost your motivation levels, but it is important to remember that working out is meant to be fun. If you find something that you love doing, it won’t be a chore anymore but something that you really look forward to. Just don’t beat yourself up if you miss a session here and there, it’s not the end of the world!

I am a third year English Lit student at The University of Exeter.