Running In The Dark – 5 Of The Best Night Races

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

For some the idea of running at night can seem terrifying, conjuring up ideas of helpless teenagers in clichéd horror movies, but in recent years what for many seems like a nightmare has become increasingly popular in the fitness world. Runners say the heightened senses and the need for tighter focus add a totally new dimension – which could explain the rising popularity of night time running events that have begun popping up all over the UK. One such example is ELLE and Nike’s ‘We Own the Night’, the two have teamed up to launch what they are calling ‘a run with a difference’, it is a 10k quite unlike your average and ELLE describe it as “a run, festival and rave all rolled into one”. So if this sounds like your idea of a great time HCX has compiled a list of some upcoming events suitable for all abilities:

[pagebreak]

1. We Own the Night

When: Saturday, 18th May 2013

Where: Victoria Park, London

“We will take you on a route filled with light, sound and the unexpected for a running experience like no other.” – elleuk.com

As mentioned this is collaboration between ELLE and Nike that is unlike your average run. Suitable for all abilities and specifically aimed at women it promises to be a fun celebration of fitness and fashion combined. ELLE are also holding training and running classes each week to get your confidence up, or you can stay motivated by downloading the Nike+ app for your smart phone and tracking your progress.

[pagebreak]

2. The Mighty Deerstalker

When: 15th March 2014

Where: Traquair House, Scotland

“In the descending dark a fiendish route lies waiting” – ratraceadventure.com

If running in the dark isn’t enough of a challenge for you (you’ll need a head-torch!), this 10k Scottish race throws in a load of obstacles and mud for you to contend with as well. However, once you finished the fabulously named ‘Beerstalker’ tent will be waiting for you so you can party the night away and revel in your success.  A daytime 5k is also offered.

[pagebreak]

3. Samsung Night Run

Where: Dublin

When: 2014 (Unannounced)

“See some of Dublin’s most iconic attractions by night” – samsungnightrun.com

A sell out event last year, Samsung in conjunction with Dublin City Council give 10,000 runners the opportunity to run 10k through the beautiful city on traffic-free roads. They also offer a goodie bag on completion and training tips via their blog in the weeks leading up to the run.

[pagebreak]

4. Night Terror

Where: Across the UK

When: 2014 (Unannounced)

“Out run your fear across a dastardly series of night-time runs through some of the UK’s darkest, most frightful forests” – nightterror.co.uk

Definitely not for the faint-hearted this run is just under 7 miles of heart-pounding multi-terrain action. Apparently ‘curious characters’ will await your arrival throughout the course so expect the unexpected on this creepy course. This year there were runs in Aldershot, Manchester, Leeds, and Bristol.

[pagebreak]

5. Men’s Health Survival By Night

Where: Battersea Power Station, London

When: 16th November 2013

“MH Survival is a high-octane urban-based running event with obstacles designed to keep you on your toes.” – mhsurvival.co.uk

Another obstacle course run, however this one takes place under floodlights in London, last year’s was at Battersea Power Station but may change this year. A 5k version of the daytime 10k events that Men’s Health put on across the country, expect plenty of adrenaline, testosterone and competition.

[pagebreak]

And One For Luck – Shine

Where: London

When: 28th September 2013

“Let’s walk all over cancer” – shine.cancerresearchuk.org

This one is a little bit different as it’s not actually a run; instead it is a walking event completely in aid of charity put on by Cancer Research UK. There will be a full and half marathon available both starting and finishing at Battersea Power Station. You’ll be encouraged to get together with friends and family and on your neon, UV paint, and glow sticks to make it a truly memorable occasion.

If you’re lucky enough to be able to go a bit further afield, North America hosts some truly stunning night runs such as ‘Glow Run’(glowrun.com) and ‘Electric Run’ (electricrun.com). Both are just as much about having a blast as they are running and are huge spectacles of light and sound. The Electric Run’s course is one big light show; even the trees come alive with lights which change colour and tempo with the music that pounds out. And at the Glow Run the finish line leads runners to the ‘Afterglow’, a massive celebration with live DJs and bands.

Hopefully this article has inspired you to get involved, so why not give it a go? Whether you’re a keen runner or a complete beginner you’re sure to find a race that suits you, or maybe you could even arrange one yourself.

Image Credits: elleuk.com, ratraceadventure.com, photos.indipendent.ie, nightterror.co.uk, mhsurvival.co.uk, shine.cancerresearchuk.org, electricrun.com

Alice Calder is in her fourth year studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Exeter. She spent her third year studying abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi where she fell in love with all things Deep South. After interning in Washington DC for the summer Alice's love of politics grew and developed into her career ambition. Aside from politics she likes music, exploring the great outdoors, and enjoying food in every possible form.