Recipe of the Week: Tomato and Mozzarella Quinoa Fritters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Have you fallen in love with quinoa yet? We certainly have!

This delicious recipe is quick to make and can be easily adapted. You can serve the quinoa as a salad by leaving out the egg and flour. Simply add them to the left-overs the following day, shape and fry to make these lovely warming fritters.

Ingredients:

Fritters

• 100g of Quinoa- Cooked
  • 4 Medium Tomatoes- Oven roasted (You can make your own using this recipe or use ½ a jar of sun-dried tomatoes)
  • 125g Mozzarella
  • 15g Basil
  • 1tbsp Lemon juice
  • 5tbsp Flour- plus extra for dusting (I use wholemeal flour but any type of flour can be used here)
  • 1 Egg
  • 1tbsp of an oil of your choice for frying (I used rapeseed)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Dip

• Mayonnaise – 3 tbsp
  • Mustard- ½ tsp

Method:

1. Chop the tomatoes and tear the mozzarella and basil. Combine in a bowl with the lemon juice, egg, flour, seasoning and the cooked quinoa.

2.Dust a surface and your hands with flour. Roll the mix into golf-sized balls in your hand and flatten into patties.

3. Add the fritters to a pan on medium high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes on either side, turning once. Do not overcrowd the pan, just cook them in batches as they need to be set aside to cool.

4. For the dip simply combine your mayonnaise with mustard and serve.

For a light lunch serve the fritters with salad leaves and dress with the dip. Once cooled they can be placed into containers and make a healthy and convenient packed lunch.

I am an English student studying at Exeter university.