No Breakfast at Tiffany’s? Why You Shouldn’t Skip Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Holly Golightly might be seen eating a pastry and sipping coffee in the opening scenes of the legendary film but, according to research, two out of five of us skip the most important meal of the day. With deadlines looming and exams hanging over us, the prospect of getting out of bed even earlier for a slice of toast is the furthest thing from our minds. However, it has been found that eating that all important meal actually improves mental performance, meaning you may be putting your marks at risk if you choose to snooze and not eat. In a new study from the Sussex Innovation Centre in Brighton, 60 per cent of test subjects showed improvements in English and maths after eating breakfast, as well as a boost in hand-eye coordination. Not only that, but anxiety levels were seen to decrease, suggesting that if you eat a little breakfast that stressful situation might not seem so bad after all. 

Some people also skip breakfast because it seems logical that skipping a meal means fewer calories, which leads to weighing less. But this is just not the case!  Breakfast skippers have been found to be 30 per cent more likely to be overweight or obese– it’s a win win, you can eat more but not weigh more! “People skip breakfast thinking they’re cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved,” says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. “Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure.” Interestingly, brain scans show that skipping breakfast actually makes fatty, high calorie foods appear far more attractive later in the day, making chocolate or crisps so hard to resist in that mid-afternoon dip! Eating breakfast even jump starts your metabolism, meaning that anything you eat later on in the day will be absorbed by the body so much more efficiently.

So it seems clear that in order to be cleverer and more attractive, breakfast is the only way to go! But what types of food are best to eat?

How do you like your eggs in the morning?

Unfortunately, we can’t all have ours with a kiss! But we can all have an egg or two to start the day; they are stuffed full of protein, minerals and vitamins A, D and riboflavin, which plays a key role in energy metabolism.  Eggs have been proven to keep you fuller for longer, making the hours til lunchtime fly by! Why not have some scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast, or have an omelette and chuck in a few vegetables or some sliced meat for a delicious way to kick off the morning?

Oat-y goodness!

Oats are a brilliant source of fibre, and can even help to reduce the amount of cholesterol you have in the bloodstream. Oats also release energy slowly, making you feel fuller for a longer amount of time. Porridge with some drizzled honey and fresh fruit (blueberries are best- they are full of antioxidants!) sprinkled on the top is so warming; the perfect start in these cold wintery times! If porridge is not your thing, why not make pancakes using oats instead of batter?

Smooth talker

You have a 9 am, it’s so early and you just don’t have time to make anything- what can you do? A smoothie, stuffed with all your favourite fruits is a great way to eat breakfast on the go and still have a healthy start to the day. Fructose, the natural sugar that fruit is so good for you, is the best form brain fuel, and fruit also has plenty of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to get your hair Kate Middleton levels of glossy and your skin glowing, always a plus!

My big fat Greek yoghurt

Yoghurt, and in particular Greek yoghurt, has so many health benefits, as well as being incredibly tasty, and effort free, which is what we all want first thing in the morning! Yoghurt has just as much protein in it as meat, with a whopping 15 to 20 grams per 6-ounces in Greek yoghurt, making it very easy to reach your optimum protein intake. And not only has yogurt been found to curb hunger, it might even help you to lose weight- the bacteria cultures found in yoghurt are great at shedding the pounds. Some fruit or low-fat granola sprinkled in a pot of that creamy goodness is the perfect way to enjoy breakfast time.

Cereal offender

If you just can’t quit the old favourites of a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast, make sure that both are wholegrain and low in fat. Cereal can be really good for the body, but some brands are stuffed full of sugar and processed ingredients. If you can, buy cereals with a low sugar addition to really reap the health benefits. Toast is another foodstuff which can be so healthy, just make sure you consider your topping! Have some avocado on top for a delicious breakfast full of antioxidants, or some low-fat baked beans for a protein filled meal.

Why not try some of these delicious breakfast options, and then take a look at our brilliant ‘meals on a budget’ article for some fantastic ideas for how to continue the day in a healthy way!

Image Credits: macaroniandcheesecake.com, livingtherun.com