Wellness > Health

Interview with Personal Trainer Jasmin Simmons: Why it is important to keep fit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Interview with Personal Trainer Jasmin Simmons: Why it is important to keep fit!

Whilst living and studying at university, it is easy to fall into bad habits with regards to health and fitness; suddenly fast food and takeaways are a commonplace and the emphasis on exercise can seem minimal. At HerCampus Exeter, we’ve spoken to Jasmin Simmons, a Personal Trainer and Nutrition & Weight Loss Specialist at Fitness First Exeter, to learn more about maintaining physical health during this time of your life.

Why is it important to stay fit at university?

Staying fit and healthy is so important at all stages of our life. But staying active and healthy throughout university can be so important for your studies to relieve stress, maintain focused, increase motivation and feel more confident in yourself!

Health and fitness is a broad term, mental and physical go hand in hand. Improving your physical health can have a positive effect on your mental wellbeing, by endorphins being released in the brain (feel good hormone)! Training definitely helped me stay focused at university.

How to stay motivated?

Everybody needs to find what works for them. Finding a training method that interests you, and that you enjoy is more likely to keep you motivated. Getting into a routine and training at a time of day that works best for you maintains motivation. I like to train in the mornings (gets it out of the way and sets you up for the day!)

Any advice for those new to the gym world?

Remember everyone is there for the same reason; to better themselves. Don’t be afraid to ask people for help, learning new methods of training can be so fun! Have a goal in mind to keep focus and to maintain motivation.

Do you have any suggestions of quick workouts and using time effectively when at the gym?

So this is very dependent on your goals BUT the main thing that people are focused on is loosing body fat and maintaining muscle mass. Therefore HIIT workouts are extremely effective if you’re tight for time. Short bursts of high intensity exercise using bodyweight or lighter weights, short rest periods, within a 25- 45 minute time frame. This method of training will have a higher calorie burn up to 24 hours after the workout!

Favourite gym wear?

Gymshark all the way! The high energy leggings are fab, they are squat proof and don’t fall down! They also offer student discount. Saying that Primark actually have some really good pieces of sportswear!

Good food/diet advice for staying on track?

Diet is a make or break for your training. Nutrition is a massive factor on influencing the way we feel. At university the social side of eating out and nights out make it hard to stay on track, BUT meal prep is such a good way to keep track of your diet, on a Sunday (whilst probably hungover) spending 40 minutes in the kitchen prepping meals for the upcoming week is so useful! I found this so helpful at university, I even took snacks in my clutch bag instead of a maccies!

Stick to lots of fruits and vegetables – vegetables are so cheap so get lots of it, frozen and tinned produce is often cheaper with fruits, meat and vegetables! Prioritize lean meats, chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs. Make sure to keep a balanced diet you still need to fuel your body, carbs, fats and proteins and a treat every now and then.

Any offers or promos?

I am offering 20% discount for students! If you’re interested in starting your fitness journey please give me a message on 07969472982 or message and follow me on Instagram – jasssimmons.

I am massively invested into supporting and developing everyone’s health and fitness, mental and physical. I have such a passion for training myself, even after so many years and going through so many physical changes. I would love to help anyone looking to start their own journey!