samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Exam Treats: Baked Apples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This is honestly one of the easiest things you will ever make. You could be as good a chef as Bridget Jones and her delightful blue soup and you will still manage to make these! The best bits? They’re quick, simple, cheap and relatively healthy. What more could you ask for to get you through those long nights in the library at this time of year?

Ingredients

3 Apples (more if it’s going to be an all-nighter!), any variety

6 Tablespoons of honey

Honestly, that’s all!

For those of you running to the library…

Pre-heat your oven to 200oC and line a baking sheet with tin foil, otherwise you’re going to have a nightmare cleaning this tray. If you have an apple corer, take the core out now. Cut your apples into halves and then cut the halves into thirds, so that you end up with six slices per apple. If you don’t have an apple corer then use a knife and carefully “scoop” the core out at this point; it’ll be easier to take the core out once the apple is in slices. Coat the apples in the honey and put them in the middle of the oven. Leave them for 30-40 minutes (but check them after 25) and they should be golden, soft and delicious! If when you check them they look a little dry, pop a little more honey on them and put them back into the oven.

For those of you who are a little more adventurous…

Put a handful of raisins in with the apples and a little more honey. Once they’re out the oven serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and a little sprinkle of cinnamon. Delicious!

To say that this is simple is the biggest understatement. Ever. But if you’re looking for something even easier, and even quicker try this: you won’t even need to bother with your oven.

Cut the apples in the way described above. Then drizzle then with the juice of one lemon and then sprinkle brown sugar over them. Done. Go, run to the library! Instead of reaching straight for the Galaxy every time, grab some apples and make your studying snacks a little healthier.  It just means that when you do reach for the chocolate that it’s so much more rewarding: you had at least one of your five a day earlier!

Image Credits: tampabayorganics.com

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.